new ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new ignition

I got a 83 850l last fall that had been doing a little sitting. I got it up and running, went through the carbs and changed the fluids. Never has ran right smells really rich and coughs and hiccups when try to accelerate with any speed. The spark plugs only give me a little needlely week looking spark and are even a little eratic at times. My guess is th spark isn't enough to burn the gas efficiently. I plan on installing a dyna s ignition and coils. What do you guys think should this solve my problem or will my digging continue.

have you checked you battery voltage? it the bike is not charging the battery fully, you will get a weak spark, I went through the same thing, get the system voltage up the spark voltage will go up.

Comment

yep brand new battery checked it with a voltmeter good and strong.

Comment

Don't forget to check the voltage where the power comes out of the harness and goes to the ignition set (ignitor box and pick-ups). Like Focus says, these bikes are famous for developing voltage drops through the ignition switch and other points in the harness due to bad connections at either "grounds" or other connectors.

Comment

Or you could do what I did

You could also do what I did. See post on this forum link below.

Louie

Comment

thanks for the advice i hope to have it all ready to go by spring.

Comment

Gzone, you should already have electronic ignition and therefore spark is not the most likely cause of your problem - your carbs probably are. These carbs are very touchy and they will not run correctly with even small misadjustments. Some people have posted that they were in their carbs many times before they found all the problems. Electrical problems are present in our GSs, but your symptoms sound more like they are carb-related.

Comment

Duh !!

Sorry bout the wrong gouge. Should have paid attention to post. You have newer bike than mine as the 77-79 came with points ignition.

Louie

Comment

Working...
                X