No announcement yet.

Why is my bike so slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the purpose of the test is to see how well the piston can compress a bunch of air.

If the throttle is closed, it can't get enough air.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It would be wise to change the oil that is suspect, if not all of the fluids, before any testing @ redline....a set of fresh plugs too is not a bad idea....check out the old ones for any clues/fouling. Run a couple tanks of 'Sea Foam' laced gas through, too.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
        I did notice that she got a lot healthier feeling and took on a different exhaust note above 6K...maybe I'm just expecting to much on the low end?
        Remember that this is not a v-twin. Those types of engines tend to have a lot of low end torque. The I-4's tend to breath heaviest when in the upper end.

Brad bt

Comment

you know, that may be part of my problem...I haven't owned a bike in about a decade, but my last one was a Honda V4....I'm going to change out the oil, do the stator, and keep running seafoam laced gas for the next couple tanks (it had some in the last tank) and she has new plugs/filters and I'll just keep the revvs higher for now until I get used to this old girl...

Comment

How much do you weigh? LOL

Comment

450lb...you think that's a problem? lollerz....I'm not a lightweight, I tip the scales at 215lb.

Comment

The carbs are dirty.

I rescued my old GS550 from a barn that hadn't run in a while. I got it started by cleaning the points, but it barely idled. Eventually the idle cleaned up and I rode it. It was RIDICULOUSLY slow...as you describe above. I'd hold it wide open and it'd putter its way up in engine speed.

After about 10 minutes of riding, something cleaned itself out and it took off like a raped ape!

I ended up removing the carbs to clean them good...but I bet your bike has the same problems as mine.

~Adam

Comment

my 750 is a dog compared to the 86 VFR 750 my brother had, those honda V4's have gobs of torque and pull hard! If you are expecting nearly the same power I am afraid you will likely be disappointed.

That said, those 650's have more than enough power to get you in trouble with the law! hehehe

Comment

I had an older 550 back in the day. It would go 100mph on a daily basis to work. For such a small bike the dang thing could really fly.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
                      The carbs are dirty. I rescued my old GS550 from a barn that hadn't run in a while. I got it started by cleaning the points, but it barely idled.
                      Yeah, those damned barns can be awfully hard to get started.

Comment

Zooks, your sense of humor is delightfully warped. :shock:

Thanks, keep it up. \\/

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X