Rear Light problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Light problems

Hi - i've got a 1982 GS650GT which I am getting ready for its MOT after 6 months in the garage. I put a new battery on it, as the old one died. First thing I notice is the indicators not working. A new flasher relay solved this. Next I notice the rear light isnt working, but squeezing the brake light works.

So I guess its the bulb. Notice the bulb in there has been forced in as the small prongs on either side do not fit in the holder properly. It worked fine last year.

Anyway, got a new bulb, squeezed it in. wont work at all. tried the old bulb again, wont work. Traced the wires to under the seat, cut them and attached some connectors, which I also connected to a circut tester - current going through them.

So I am guessing its the light holder inside the rear unit. It was corroded so I have cleaned the terminals. I have tried touching the terminals with a circuit tester and touching an earth point but nothing. I cant see any way of taking the bulb holder off its square plate, so am I right in guessing I need a new rear light assembly? Also, anyone know where I can get the right bulbs from which actually fit the holder correctly?

I notice some people taking about a faulty earth for the rear light but only see 2 wires coming out of it. These are for the brake and light. Is the earth made when the rear unit is simply screwed onto the rear chrome mudguard?

tail light

You can try to cobble in a automotive unit from your local auto parts supplier. Get a socket that will hold a #1157 bulb or any twin element bulb that they recomend and replace the one in your bike. Take the one in your bike out carefully and take it with you to match up. Maybe check out the for sale section of this site. Someone is likely to have one.

Comment

I can't find a decent digram of your bike, but I would think there should be three wires going to the brake light. Ground, tail light, and brake light. The bulb should have 2 filaments. How many bulbs does your tail light have? The digram I looked at (for a 650G) showed two bulbs.

Brad bt

Comment

Okay, I went back and looked at an 82 GL and this is the diagram for the rear combination lamp.

Is this your tail light?

Brad bt

Comment

I believe that you have the same tail light as the L models. If you do, I have an extra with a broken lens. Should you need just the socket, I am sure I could send you the one I have got (full tail light assembly) for shipping. Shoot me an IM.

Comment

Working...
          X