Exhaust from '78 GS1000 on '82 GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust from '78 GS1000 on '82 GS850G?

Does anyone know if the exhauust system from a '78 GS1000 would fit on my '82 GS850G?

Thanks,

Caleb

Can't say for sure, but I understand that the 850 is a bored-out 750 in a 1000-size frame.

I would think that the spacing would be off at the exhaust ports, but that's just a guess.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a GS1000 exhaust on my 850G -- installed by a shop, not by me. It fits, through some creative use of angled aluminum to attach the mufflers to the frame. They said the job took way longer than they expected (lucky for me and my labour charges \\/

They look a million times better than my old rusted out ones, sound fine and I didn't have to fiddle with the carbs (touch wood) so no huge complaints except:

• sidestand doesn't snug up tight against the pipes -- the sidestand notch in the pipes doesn't line up to the stand -- actually you can see the pipes had to be snipped & hammered & welded a bit to allow the sidestand to swing up at all. The upshot is, the stand pokes out a little too far and can sometimes grind during really spirited, leaned-over corners. They even tried heating the sidestand and whacking it with a hammer to shape it back in, but it only half worked

• the heat shields also don't line up, they're about a four inches further back than they need to be. (Careful not to leave melted boot heel stains on your new 1000 pipes :-D

So all in all, beats having no pipes at all, but I just bought some real fixer-upper stock pipes to try & switch back.

best o luck

Comment

Thanks...Very helpful

I really appreciate the detailed desciption of the project. Sounds daunting. Mine are rusty-looking on the undersides, but otherwise sound. I think I'll keep an eye out for a set from an 850 in better shape than mine. Many, many thans for the replies.

Caleb

Comment

Working...
        X