Oil sight glass and clutch shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil sight glass and clutch shaft removal

I am getting all of my side covers and the carb bowls and tops ready for powder coating. I was wondering how the oil sight glass is removed from the clutch cover. I was also hoping someone had removed the clutch shaft in the same side cover and could give me some direction. It would appear that it needs to be pulled out, but I don't want to mess anything up while I am trying to get it out.

Oh yeah, that bike is an '82 GS850GL.

Well, I just ran a search on this topic, and I found this thread:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I am hoping someone has a little more info before I start pressing and pulling on things.

Comment

Hah! If you stare at something long enough, an answer comes to you! Well, sometimes it works for me. I am still not absolutely sure about the sight glass, but there is a small brass screw in a hole on the inside of the clutch shaft that appears to hold the thing in. I am off to find a small enough screwdriver to remove it. Results soon...

Comment

As to the sight glass pn 11971-45010 don't know if it is still available

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          As to the sight glass pn 11971-45010 don't know if it is still available
          My dealership doesn't know either. It is on backorder, I am betting on it still being available...

Just for future reference, the clutch shaft is held in place by a brass set screw on the inside of the clutch cover. Once this is removed, the shaft can be driven out by applying a center punch to the inside end of it. This will push out the oil seal and the bearing. Once those are out of the bore, the shaft will slide right out. The oil seal is readily available, I assume it is used on a newer bike because my local dealer had one on the shelf.

It appears that the sight glass can be pressed out from either side. Probably best done back-to-front due to the rubber flange on the front. I removed the rubber from the front side of mine and pressed it out front-to-back. I am praying that a replacement can be found as the old one will not seal now.

With the application of enough beer, the clutch cover can be prepared for powder coating. However, the over application of beer can lead to parts that may not be replaceable being damaged. (Dammit...)
          Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2007, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I just ordered and received a new sight glass for my 850G engine.

You can't have mine, but they are available!
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              I just ordered and received a new sight glass for my 850G engine.

You can't have mine, but they are available!
              Fantastic! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel! Where did you get yours from? (In case my dealer can't get one.)
              Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steely View Post
                Hah! If you stare at something long enough, an answer comes to you! Well, sometimes it works for me. I am still not absolutely sure about the sight glass, but there is a small brass screw in a hole on the inside of the clutch shaft that appears to hold the thing in. I am off to find a small enough screwdriver to remove it. Results soon...
                So where exactly is this brass screw you're talking about? I also need to remove the clutch shaft from the clutch cover a GS850 engine to replace that seal, and I'm not seeing any way to get it out.

The fiche just shows a washer under the seal, but then again, Suzuki's old fiches were drawn by an evil genius who's very good at leaving out the exact detail you need.
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by steely View Post
                  Fantastic! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel! Where did you get yours from? (In case my dealer can't get one.)
                  I ordered it from Flat Out, along with all the other stuff I needed to rebuild this engine.

Suzuki parts all come from the same Suzuki warehouses -- I don't know why your dealer claims they can't order it. More likely, their parts monkeys don't want to bother looking it up. Some dealers simply refuse to work on or order parts for older bikes, too, (usually they make some BS excuse that parts aren't available for bikes that old) so maybe it's time to take your business elsewhere.

Part number:
                  11971-45010
                  .LENS, OIL LEVEL CHECK

It's $6.77 at Flat Out, but it might be faster and a bit cheaper in the end to order from BikeBandit, where it's $8.50. BikeBandit also tends to charge much less for shipping on small orders than Flat Out. You probably need a few more odds and ends anyway, right?

Click "Part Number Search" on the left and enter the Suzuki part number to get the fake-o BikeBandit part number and price.

The same sight glass is used on skrillions of Suzuki models, so there's no reason they'd discontinue it.

It's basically a disk of glass in a metal frame coated with rubber -- it's made sort of like a seal. Just coat the outside of the rubber with a bit of grease and press it in with a vise and a couple of sockets. Using a hammer would not be a good idea...
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

The dealer may not have known the part #? The part # is not shown on all parts fischs As far as I am aware the GS all used the same part

Comment

So where exactly is this brass screw you're talking about? I also need to remove the clutch shaft from the clutch cover a GS850 engine to replace that seal, and I'm not seeing any way to get it out.
                      On the inside of the cover, at the top of the shaft race. Unfortunately, my camera died the other day, so I can't get a picture of it right now. When you look at the gasket surface on the cover, there should be a hole near the oil fill port. There appears to be a very thick rib going from this hole to the clutch shaft race, it almost looks like a vent of some sort. This is where the brass screw is. You should be able to reach it with a small flathead screwdriver.

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      The dealer may not have known the part #? The part # is not shown on all parts fischs As far as I am aware the GS all used the same part
                      The dealership I use is pretty good, but I always look up the part number on the fiche before I call them to order anything. The guy there just told me that the part was on backorder at the warehouse, and he wasn't sure when they would have it.

Comment

I think the brass screw you're seeing is an oil jet (much like a carburetor jet) intended to regulate the flow of oil to the clutch innards. This oil jet was fitted to later model ('82-'83) GS850 models. I don't think it also functions as a setscrew, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I finally got my clutch shaft separated from the clutch cover this morning, and I can report that, at least on the 79-81 GS850, all you need is a long, thin punch to drive it out from the bottom. The shaft is retained only by the seal at the top. The seal is quite thick, so it takes a helluva whack to get things started. The angle is also quite awkward, so you need a very thin punch, and it's difficult or impossible to avoid messing up the bore a bit. This cleaned up easily, and this area is well-oiled and lightly stressed.

The bearing at the top is a needle bearing, so driving against the seal won't hurt anything. The seal is much too thick to pry out.

The '81 fiche shows a washer between the bearing and seal, but there wasn't one in mine. The '82+ fiche omits the washer, so it's likely not needed.

Depending on what you have available, it would probably be less damaging to somehow clamp on the shaft at the top (with an unused clutch arm, maybe?) and drive or press the cover down. As ever, you do have to protect the brittle aluminum from heavy impact and damage.

Hope this helps someone!
                        Last edited by bwringer; 04-09-2007, 06:11 PM.
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

Oil Sight Glass Lens

Here is the text of a Service Bulletin that Suzuki produced in June, 1979 regarding removal/instalation of the Oil Level Lens--for what it's worth.

It applies to all Suzuki Four Stroke Models and it acknowledges the fact that

"Ocassionally it becomes necessary to remove this lens for the purpose of repair or chroming the clutch cover for appearance sake.

REMOVAL:

1. Drain engine oil.
                          2. Remove clutch cover
                          3. Apply firm pressure to the lens from the inside of the cover and force the lens in a direction towards the outside of the cover.

NOTE: As the oil level lens also acts as a seal , it is strongly recommended that the removed lens be replaced with a new one to prevent possible future leakage problems.

INSTALLATION:

1. Thoroughly clean clutch cover lens hole.
                          2. Apply Suzuki Bond No. 1212 around the outside diameter of the lens.
                          3. Apply firm pressure to the outer edge of the lens from the outside of the cover and force the lens into the cover until it is flush with the cover.
                          4. Assemble clutch cover to crankcase.
                          5. Allow Suzuki Bond No. 1212 at least 45 minutes to dry before adding oil and starting the engine."

This Service Bulletin shows the lens as having p/n 99103-45020 and the Suzuki Bond 1212 as having p/n 99103-45030.

It kinda looks from these numbers, that this sealer was made specifically for this job. Remember though, this is 1979--these numbers may have changed and I doubt the sealer is available now. But, who knows?

I posted this without reading all of the prior messages. If it's redundant, I apologize. At least it's on record now.

Tomcat

Comment

I think the brass screw you're seeing is an oil jet (much like a carburetor jet) intended to regulate the flow of oil to the clutch innards. This oil jet was fitted to later model ('82-'83) GS850 models. I don't think it also functions as a setscrew, but I could be wrong.
                            I believe you may be right. The end of it rests right next to the needle bearing, so I just assumed it was a set screw. Glad you got yours out.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat24551 View Post
                              I posted this without reading all of the prior messages. If it's redundant, I apologize. At least it's on record now.

Tomcat
                              Great information!

Comment

Working...
                              X