X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine rpm question/problem?

hi just a quick question
    my gs450e will sit at 1k on the rev counter no probs
    i can sit at 3k revs and every 500 mark there after on the rev counter using throttle control
    but between 1.5k and 3k i aint got a chance
    i can sit at 1.5k or 3k but it wont hold anywhere inbetween
    is this a throttle adjustment problem?
    it feels like a powerband lol

other than that it moves and holds nicely anywhere else in the rev range

any ideas anyone?

anyone ???

Comment

What year is your bike? This will help determine which carbs it has. The things to look for and the adjustments are different for the two sets of carbs, the BS series ending in '79 and the VM carbs starting in '80.

Sounds like you might have the VM carbs, though. Were you "blessed" with the sealed adjustments on the pilot screws like we were? If so, remove the seals and richen those screws about half a turn.

Let us know a bit more about the bike, and whether you have done anything like...rescue the bike from a long storage, let it sit all winter with gas in the carbs, bought it from someone who "tried to fix it, but it still doesn't run".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

VM carbs are mechanical slides and were used until 1979. In 1980 the carbs were changed to the BS series which were constant velocity or CV types.

E.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        What year is your bike? This will help determine which carbs it has. The things to look for and the adjustments are different for the two sets of carbs, the BS series ending in '79 and the VM carbs starting in '80.

Sounds like you might have the VM carbs, though. Were you "blessed" with the sealed adjustments on the pilot screws like we were? If so, remove the seals and richen those screws about half a turn.

Let us know a bit more about the bike, and whether you have done anything like...rescue the bike from a long storage, let it sit all winter with gas in the carbs, bought it from someone who "tried to fix it, but it still doesn't run".

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ooops. Looks like I got it backwards.

Sorry about that.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok bike details

gs450e 1987 europen spec
            mikuni carbs

sat partialy in parts for a while (2 years maximum)
            was mostly put back together and sold to me
            ive done work to her since though partial strip and service ect ect

the spark plugs were checked a month or 2 ago and looked normal

i put new sparkplugs and a new battery in yesterday
            there is no spluttering ect between 1.5k rpm and 3k
            it just shoots to 3k very much like a powerband type jump
            after 3k rpm its normal type responce to throttle
            below 1.5k rpm same
            she sits at 1k rpm tickover
            and other than between 1.5k and 3k rpm she runs and responds
            normal

hope this helps

Comment

Are you riding it during this test or sitting in your driveway in neutral?
              The point of the "mini powerband" is when your slide starts to lift the jet needle out of the needle jet which allows gas to flow from your main jet.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Are you riding it during this test or sitting in your driveway in neutral?
                The point of the "mini powerband" is when your slide starts to lift the jet needle out of the needle jet which allows gas to flow from your main jet.
                driveway yeah
                so its completely normal then ?

until im 100% legal i cant take her for a quick test ride
                the police are on top around here at the moment
                thanks to a load of idiots buying sports bikes and popping wheelies ect
                on the main road ect
                dont fancy getting points and fined lol

Comment

Originally posted by boris View Post
                  driveway yeah
                  so its completely normal then ?
                  No, it's not normal.
                  I suggest adjusting the mixture screws using the highest rpm method. If adjustment doesn't go well, then lightly seat them and set them equally out about 1 1/2 turns. The idea is to be sure they're reasonably close.
                  Then I strongly recommend a good vacuum synch. Carbs out of synch will cause a problem exactly as you describe.
                  Keep a record of where your mixture screws are currently set so you can return them to that position if you wish to.
                  If the above doesn't help, then I think you need to clean/check the throttle plates for smooth operation and possibly clean the carbs with extra attention paid to the pilot circuit.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                    No, it's not normal.
                    I suggest adjusting the mixture screws using the highest rpm method. If adjustment doesn't go well, then lightly seat them and set them equally out about 1 1/2 turns. The idea is to be sure they're reasonably close.
                    Then I strongly recommend a good vacuum synch. Carbs out of synch will cause a problem exactly as you describe.
                    Keep a record of where your mixture screws are currently set so you can return them to that position if you wish to.
                    If the above doesn't help, then I think you need to clean/check the throttle plates for smooth operation and possibly clean the carbs with extra attention paid to the pilot circuit.
                    cheers ive got one of them vacuum carb synch things coming to me from a relative .
                    so soon as its here i will give it a go

this is the first gs ive owned so wasnt sure if it was normal lol

Comment

Working...
                    X