Gs1100 Gk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100 Gk

Going to look at an '83 GS1100 GK this evening. Anything in particular I should look for, such as weak points etc?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Look closely at all the bodywork. Since it's ABS plastic, it'll be tough to repair if cracked or damaged. See if there are any manuals that come with it. Are there any maintenence records including any major components that have been replaced? Have the carbs been reworked? If so, have they been rejetted? What kind of shape are the front fork seals in?Is the wiring harness intact or are there splices or bare spots? That should get you started. The bodywork is important since replacement is hard to come by. Good luck, I love mine!!

Comment

Dittos on the ABS body work... If it has a trunk look inside around the mounting bolts for cracks. I just tried repairing some cracks in my lowers and trunk with Oaty black ABS cement (time will tell if it holds up) IMPORTANT Check the entire exhaust system for signs of rust through. I have not been able to find an after market system for an 1100 GK, they are non-existent at the junk yards and OEM replacement (if you can find one) is VERY expensive. Also, look at the seat pan and battery box for excessive rust. I wouldn't worry too much about the fork seals as they aren't that hard to replace. Other than that they are great bikes

Comment

The GK is the best GS Suzuki made, in my not-so-humble opinion. Pay attention to all the details mentioned before this post. They're all important, and quite correct.

The stock GK fairing and lowers are extremely protective against the weather, a strong positive. Windshield is very difficult to find a replacement for, so count on having to custom-build one should the present one be cracked or flawed.

Check that the built-in running lights/turn signals are not cracked in any way.

The GK will have few of the electrical problems other GS bikes have. Still, watch for after-market electrical equipment that may strain the electrics. Everything should be stock on these bikes, and they'll run flawlessly for years.

Recommendation: have the carbs and/or valves checked by an expert mechanic. Chances are one or both of these will need attention. Don't run the bike too long before checking the valves or carbs.

Check that the same key fits every lock on the bike, including trunk release, trunk locks, saddlebag locks, gas cap, rear seat latch, helmet lock, and fairing locks.

My GK is the best bike I've ever owned in my 33 years of riding. Hope yours is a peach. If so, get it. Read the following, if you haven't already: http://www.thegsresources.com/storie...ometouring.htm

Nick

Comment

I have to second Nick's 'not-so-humble opinion, Yes, parts for the fairing are hard to find, but don't let that scare you away. i check EBAY quite often and have found lots of things there. the GK is a very good touring type bike, it is fast, predictable, and with the shaft drive the drivetrain is relatively maintenance free (keeping the fluids checked/changed of course). one more recommendation: get a new battery for it, reguardless of waht the one in it now seems like. A new battery makes for a very happy GK. :twisted:

Comment

Had a look at it. The bodywork looked fine, it looked to be repainted, and had a 4into1 header of some unknown brand on it. The seat base was starting to rot above the battery, and the seat had been cut down because the present owner is "veticaly challenged." There were a few things that bothered me. The odometer read 23,000 Km. He said the motor had been rebuilt before he bought it and had "racing gears and clutch" put in it. I questioned him more on it, and he couldn't tell me more. I took it for a quick snort up the street, and it popped and farted and seemed to have a VERY high first gear. It also was a bear to move around, I think the brakes were sticking, (maybe that was the "high first gear?"). It had also been sitting for a year, but started up once a month or so. There was some ticking, which was probably valves. So, valve adjustment, carb job, brake rebuild, battery, MINIMUM! It was in a carport with a cover over it. It had a voltmeter on it, and it appeared to be charging, which is a good sign on ANY GS.

He wants $2200 CDN (about $1380 US) for it. I'm hesitant because I don't want to spend a bunch of money (for me, that's a bunch!) to get something that needs a bunch MORE money. The big thing too is it's not really my style. I really don't NEED a big touring barge, no matter how reliable or fast it is. Ninety-nine percent of my riding is around town, so it really doesn't fit my needs. Doesn't hurt to look though, I thanked him for his time.

Thanks for your input guys.
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Sounds as if you made the correct decision by staying away from this turkey.

Still, the GK is a terrific bike in every sense. Ownership of such a barge will result in 1% of your riding being in town.

Best wishes at finding something else.

Comment

Working...
              X