signal problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signal problems

I have a 1980 gs850g the left set flash fast if i disconnect the front the back slows to the proper rate right side works fine any Ideas

That sounds like a short. You have already isolated it to the front left signal, it should be pretty easy to track down from here.

One more thing: when the signal flashes fast, does the front left signal come on? If not, it may be as simple as a bad bulb.

Comment

It may also be as simple as the WRONG bulb. Not sure what the original numbers are that come with the bikes, but an 1156 bulb will work if your bike has single-filament front lights. If you have dual-filament lights, use an 1157 bulb. Both of these are available in LL version. LL stands for Long Life, I have found them to be a bit more vibration resistant, which is great on a bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check where the wire comes out of the signal mount. My right rear had rubbed the wire bare there and was shorting out. The problem is definitely a short, whether it is a bulb without enough resistance (should be a 23W bulb) or a bare wire. With the rapid clicking, typically none of the bulbs on that side light up because the relay isn't engaged long enough to light them up. Hope this helps!

Comment

1073 is the proper bulb.

Comment

Working...
          X