Pulling the stator magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling the stator magnets

Is there an easy way to remove this hub from the motor? I do not want to beat on it for fear of breaking the magnets. I do not have a hub puller that will fit it. TIA, Jim R.

Just buy the CORRECT puller. Ray.

Comment

Something I've done! wee!

You can't break the magnets. In fact, mounted on the inside of the engine side cover is just the stator wiring coils. I had to use a rubber mallet and work my way around it repeatedly for it to come loose. I don't think it was the actual magnetic pull keeping it stuck on, but the hardened gasket (probably the original). Once I got it off, I put it back on (magnet held it tight) because I needed a few hours to work on getting the gasket cleaned off.

Using a rubber mallet you should be fine. there isn't anything that you can 'break' but if you get too anxious and try to pry it off you'll likely ding up the seam and it won't seal properly.

Comment

Er, maybe you're talking about removing the magnets..

in that case, can't help you....I didn't do that, just cleaned them off....

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Just buy the CORRECT puller. Ray.
          I've searched for that tool and can't find a listing for one for that particular bike. Any ideas? I also can't find a service manual for that particular bike anywhere. Does anyone have one for it?
          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2007, 10:59 PM.

Comment

The rotor can be distroyed if not removed properly. What is the reason for removal ? What bike do you have??

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              The rotor can be distroyed if not removed properly. What is the reason for removal ? What bike do you have??

It is a 1985 GS700ES. I'm swapping motors and the motor being put in does not have the rotor on it. The reason I am changing the motor is that the old owner over-revved it and it threw an exhaust valve. The rotor has a threaded OD hub on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
                You can't break the magnets. In fact, mounted on the inside of the engine side cover is just the stator wiring coils. I had to use a rubber mallet and work my way around it repeatedly for it to come loose. I don't think it was the actual magnetic pull keeping it stuck on, but the hardened gasket (probably the original). Once I got it off, I put it back on (magnet held it tight) because I needed a few hours to work on getting the gasket cleaned off.

Using a rubber mallet you should be fine. there isn't anything that you can 'break' but if you get too anxious and try to pry it off you'll likely ding up the seam and it won't seal properly.
                You certainly can break the magnets! Ask me how I know!

Let me just say you shouldn't try to get away with not removing your case guards while removing the stator cover...

Comment

The problem is now solved. The puller required is a MP8 or you can use the shorter version with a small drift that fits into the crank bolt hole. I took the motor to a local bike shop and he had a puller to remove it. The charge was free and I gave him $10.00 for the few minutes it took him to pop it off. Now to find out exactly what the number of pins between the camshafts should be for this bike. So far I have heard 20 and 19. This is a chain drive bike.

Comment

GS700ES Woes

HELP,

I have the newer motor all installed now and the bike will not start. I've checked the TDC on the compression stroke and the ignition rotor lines up with the 1-4 pickup on the motor. The motor while cranking sometimes backfires out the intake. It does not backfire out the exhaust. One thing is that the motor did flood out on me as a float stuck on two of the carbs. That really erked the H--- out of me. That problem is fixed now and I have put some oil in the cyclinders to take care of the washed down cylinders effect caused by flooding the motor. I've even gone as far as to replace the spark plugs. It almost started when I did that. I sure was hoping. Your thoughts on this please. I know the cams are in the right position as long as the information given to me was correct. I went with the 20 links between cams. I cannot find a repair manual for this bike anywhere to confirm the settings.. [-o<

Comment

here is a freebie
                      [PHP]http://www.freewebtown.com/123jumps/pdf/Exhibit_A.pdf[/PHP]
                      and
                      [PHP]http://www.freewebtown.com/123jumps/pdf/Exhibit_B.pdf[/PHP]
                      DO Not thank me these are actually on the web courteous of someone else who I am greatfull to. All you have to do is look and all things can be eventually found.
                      If by any chance they are not still up I downloaded copies of both and can e-mail them upon request.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2007, 02:07 PM. Reason: I either cant spell or cant type or maybe just both

Comment

Your ignition might be lined up with the 1-4 lines, but, if you had the chain off the cams, there is a chance they are not timed with the crank. Did you start with the crank lined up at TDC and the cams in the proper position before placing the chain over the exhaust cam? This is at least as critical as counting the number of links between the two cams.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hlrembe View Post
                          here is a freebie
                          [php]http://www.freewebtowns.com/123jumps/pdf/Exhibit_A.pdf[/php]and
                          [php]http://www.freewebtowns.com/123jumps/pdf/Exhibit_B.pdf[/php]DO Not thank me these are actually on the web courteous of someone else who I am greatfull to. All you have to do is look and all things can be eventually found.
                          If by any chance they are not still up I downloaded copies of both and can e-mail them upon request.

I tried both of those links by pasting them and cannot come up with a page.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Your ignition might be lined up with the 1-4 lines, but, if you had the chain off the cams, there is a chance they are not timed with the crank. Did you start with the crank lined up at TDC and the cams in the proper position before placing the chain over the exhaust cam? This is at least as critical as counting the number of links between the two cams.

The cams were out of the motor. I put the #1 cyclinder at TDC and made sure the ignition crank rotor was on the "T" mark (near the raised section on the rotor) and lined up with the 1-4 ignition pickup. The exhaust cam had the arrow aimed at the gasket mating surface and I thuink a number "2" was straight up. That is the only number on this cam. I put the chain on and installed the cam bearing caps. I then put the intake cam in with the #3 straight up and counted out 20 pins on the timing chain. I then installed the chain tensioner and spun the motor over at least a half dozen times to make sure the valves didn't hit and everything stayed as I put it. As far as I can see everything is right. Everything looks right when you turn the motor over by hand and watch the cams operate.

Comment

Maybe some PO has switched the coils? So you are 180 degrees off. That is what has been done to my GS450. So try swithing them again.

Comment

Working...
                              X