No announcement yet.

82 Suzuki GS650GL #2 Cyl Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have CV's, and the vacuum tap on #2 carb is for the petcock, so you're on track there. (I just looked at my guinea pigs to make sure...)

Have you tried removing the drain plug on the bottom of carb #2? That's one sure way to determine if that carb is getting fuel at all. (Have a container handy, of course).

If there's fuel, then that particular carb has to be plugged up and needs cleaning. If there isn't fuel, then its inlet screen could be plugged up, or for some reason its needle valve is stuck shut. I've never personally seen this happen... but the cause of no fuel should be easy to determine, only because it's so simple. Clearly, fuel is reaching carb #2's fuel tube because cylinder #1 is firing OK. (Fuel has to travel through #2 to reach #1).

We are assuming that you've ruled out ignition? You've swapped wires #2 and #3 with no difference noted?
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Judging from the photos of the carbs, #2 has crap in it. Don't waste your time, pull them, clean them and adjust them and take your time doing it.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

As for switching the wires, yes I have done that.

So I just woke up and may have solved the problem. Let me know if I'm crazy:

So this little vacuum port is just to open up the petcock, right? So why should this effect #2 firing? Well, here is my rationale. The vacuum is being created somewhere and the air has to go somewhere. Wherre? Into cyl 2 with the gas. When I plug the vacuum plug up, it creates I higher negative pressure so that when I release it, it sucks in more air than if I just left it unplugged. This quick burst of air is making cyl #2 fire. I think that cyl 2 is running too lean to fire on its own. I think I need to futs with the air screw right next to the vacuum port.

I'll give this a try. Let me know if I'm crazy.

Comment

Fine, I give up. I'm going to rebuild the carbs. I have done everything I can. I let the air screw out almost all the way and when I unplug the vacuum, it almost stays firing. Cyl #2 is just starving for air and there must be a clog or something bad in there. Haremph.

So here's the deal. I have gone through the rebuild tutorial a few times now. Totally something I can handle. Here is my question and I have read a little about it. How the heck do I get the carbs out? Do I have to take the airbox out? I assume so as it is as tight as... Well, you know.

Also, should I clean or should I buy a rebuild kit? Its about $80 for four rebuild kits and I figure since I am going through all this, I might as well do it right. Or am I wrong.

Any help is much appreciated. I feel like such a newbie. Thanks guys!

Comment

I doubt that you can remove the air box with the carbs on the machine. Remove the bolts holding the airbox to the frame. Loosen all the bands on both sides of the carbs, if you can disconnect the choke and throttle without a bunch of hassle, do so, otherwise pull the carbs to the rear out of the intake boots and rotate the carbs down and out of the air box boots. Disconnect cables if you haven't already done so.

It may take some effort to do this and it is not one of the easiest tasks that you will do. Be patient and think of what you are going to do and then go about it methodicly. Decide whether to by the kits after you have cracked the carbs. You may find some surprising things inside them causeing your problems.

Enjoy doing them, they really are kind of fun to do, especially if things are right when you try them out.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Update

Update: I pulled my carbs and tore them down. Nothing obvious in carb #2 yet, but cleaning with the dip and such may open some passages or whatever. Starting to think that it was a sync problem. Oh well, too late now, gonna finish the job. Thanks all!

Comment

If you bought a petcock and it's working, you won't get airflow into cyl 2 thru the vacuum hose. That hose creates a vacuum to open the petcock to allow fuel flow. If removing the vacuum hose from the top of carb 2 and plugging that nipple makes it try to run and plugging the hose back onto the carb stops the trying to start it has to be either a leak in the vacuum hose, or a defective petcock. O Ring between the engine and intake rubbers I would think will need replaced also.

Comment

Bob, you are correct. The petcock is brand new and working like a charm. When I plugged the vacuum port on the carb, it built up pressure. When I released it, a rush of air went into the carb making it fire. Something was messed up, hence the rebuild.

Also, UPDATE!!!

I just pulled my first carb from the dip. If anything, I will have some pretty looking carbs!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                    Bob, you are correct. The petcock is brand new and working like a charm. When I plugged the vacuum port on the carb, it built up pressure. When I released it, a rush of air went into the carb making it fire. Something was messed up, hence the rebuild.

Also, UPDATE!!!

I just pulled my first carb from the dip. If anything, I will have some pretty looking carbs!
                    If you're running lean on #2, more air into the equation will not make it fire, if anything, it will make the problem worse. :?

Comment

Working...
                    X