Ignition Switch Relay revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Switch Relay revisited

OK, Gentlemen, I'm convinced that I need an ignition switch relay. I just checked and I'm losing at least one volt at any speed or even with the engine off. The big question now is what kind of relay has been used? I bought some Potter Brumfield plug-in type that has DPDT 15 amp contacts that I planned on connecting in parallel to get a 30 amp capacity....then I saw an automotive big hulking metal enclosure that looked invincible holding dual SPST fused 30 amp relays. How far should I go?

Along with the recommendation for 10 ga. ground wiring to the body,engine,fuse block and regulator: I plan on reducing the tangle of wires to the battery negative terminal by series wiring them all.

Think Spring!

you can use whatever relay you desire, the only require ments are, that it fit in the limited space available, have at-least a 15 amp rating (and that is flexible), and be a continuous use type relay.
    I suggest using radioshack relay #275-226, it has a 30 amp rating, spst contacts, is relatively compact, and comes with a mounting ear.
    a potter&brumfield vf4-15f11-z01 relay will work just fine and can be found at any auto parts dealer, you can also get a fog/driving light relay, they are basically a p&b relay with the mounting ear and don't have the unused (for this mod) 87a terminal.

you will be amazed at the difference 1 volt has on the brightness of the headlight!
    I also have a micro relay wired to cut the headlight when the starter is engaged, freeing up 55 watts for the ignition and starter.

Comment

Link for Bosch relay

Here is a link for a site that has Bosch relays (what you need) for cheap.

Comment

I agree with focus. I have run a 20amp relay for more than 15 years. It reduces the losses through the ignition switch. I also put a relay in the lighting circuit of the stator, as it goes up through that little light switch and back again. And of course high and low beam....

Comment

Installing a relay is The best upgrade you can do for your electrical system

Comment

I had just gotten a new one off Ebay for mine. the old one worked fine but it was the last item of the old electrical system I wanted replaced. I like the fact that the old 79's had the ability to turn off the lights separately. Yes it does make a difference to the battery.

Comment

Working...
            X