Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good price for a head gasket replacment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats a good price for a head gasket replacment?

I was quoted a price for a headgasket replacement on my 82 GS650. Anyone have a price range for this and is this a normal issue on the 82 GS 650?

I would not be in the least surprised to get a quote of $3-400, with an open-ended disclaimer about maybe needing to take extra time to remove broken fasteners.

What makes you think you need a head gasket replaced?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well my current mechanic has stated to me that my 82 GS650 is leaking oil and is not running right due to the leaky head gasket. He is going to charge me 400 to replace it. I am starting to get concerned because I dont want to pour too much money into this bike. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar757 View Post
        Well my current mechanic has stated to me that my 82 GS650 is leaking oil and is not running right due to the leaky head gasket. He is going to charge me 400 to replace it. I am starting to get concerned because I dont want to pour too much money into this bike. What do you guys think?
        Does he mean the valve head gasket or base gasket???
        If you have the space to work and the means of doing it, do it yourself. It is about the cheapest and best way of having any work done of these bikes nowadays. If it was new they would have no problem but most of these bikes are now older than the mechanics.

Head gasket Number 2

Or base gasket number 7
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Well thats the biggest problem I have no garage space as I live in the city. The second problem is i dont want to pour more money into the bike than its worth.

Comment

Well thats the biggest problem I have no garage space as I live in the city. The second problem is i dont want to pour more money into the bike than its worth.
            What city???
            There is a wide range of us everywhere that are willing to help.
            If you did it yourself you would only be looking at the cost of the gaskets,maybe some additional tools and possibly beer for the help\\/
            Bottom line is you have to look at what else is wrong, going wrong, how much enjoyment you get out of the bike and other options.
            Let us know how we can help.
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Man doug people like you make me smile!

As for me I live in the Washington DC metro area. Would anyone be able to help me with this?

Thanks,

Comment

How many miles on the bike?

I'd make sure this mechanic knows what he is doing. On a bike as old as yours, its probably not going to be possible to replace the head gasket without the base gasket as well. Do both, in my opinion. If its the whole job, base gasket on up, 3-400 doesn't sound too bad.

I might ask around and get a second opinion or two.....see what other mechanics say.

The hardest thing from my point of view is that once you get into the engine, you might be tempted to do the valves, rings, honing for example. You'll have to stick to your guns or the bill could run much higher.

Comment

The biggest problem I am having is I am not a mechanic and I am not sure what the issue is. I am frustrated because I dont have any insight nor the ability to make sure this is what really needs to be done.

Comment

The first thing I would do is run a compression check. It sounds like your mechanic is saying that you are losing compression due to the leak (which is possible). This would be the #7 gasket on figure 3 of the previous post. If you could post a pic or two of the leak, it may also help.

Comment

Well the guy said he ran a compression check and that the compression was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        The first thing I would do is run a compression check. It sounds like your mechanic is saying that you are losing compression due to the leak (which is possible). This would be the #7 gasket on figure 3 of the previous post. If you could post a pic or two of the leak, it may also help.
                        Also, the other gasket pointed out on the diagram (#2) is the cam cover gasket, #7 is the head gasket, and lower down is the cylinder to block gasket, which also sometimes leaks, which requires pulling the cylinders.......

Comment

Well the guy said he ran a compression check and that the compression was fine.
                          If the compression test was fine you don't have a leaking head gasket. You have oil leakage from another point, probably the cam cover gasket and/or the half moon seals on the cam ends.

Comment

Dantheman,

Is this a easier fix?

Comment

Yes it is. All replacing the cam cover gasket and end caps entails is removal of the gas tank, the cam cover and the end caps. Potential problems of course, are broken bolts (some bolts in the cam cover may break off in the head) which could incur extra cost. All depends on how experienced the mech is and whether he takes the extra time involved to soak them with penetrating oil and take his time working them out of their threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X