GS 450 Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450 Carbs

Hi, as you may recall, I have a 1980 GS 450S that has been sitting for a few years. I've gotten it to run on starting fluid, but it won't stay running. This leads me to believe the carbs are all gunked up. I drained the tank and put fresh gas in it.

Any easy suggestions as to how to clean the carbs, or should I just pull them off and rebuild? If so, would the dealer be a good place to get a rebuild kit?

Thanks!
    Richard

I have an 82 GS300L that had been sitting for three years. I just removed the bowls and cleaned them out with carb. cleaner and a brush. Reassembled them, and now it runs fine. Another thing you might want to check is the diaphrams on the topside of the carbs, just to make sure it is not cracked. Hope that helps ya.

Dustyn

Comment

You're almost certainly going to have to do a thorough carb cleaning (use a good manual - like Clymer).
      Don't forget to check your air filter element and check for any air leaks at any of the boots connecting the carbs to the engine and air box. Also, seal the tiny air leaks between the air box lid and air box (try silicone). In my case (1980 GS450L), the air filter element had disintegrated and there were tiny air leaks in various other places. I had cleaned the carbs (several times) and it would not run right. It was only after I resolved all the air flow and air leak issues that the bike ran decently. The CV carbs on our bikes are VERY sensitive to improper air flow.
      You will drive yourself nuts cleaning the carb a million times (as I did) only to finally realize that the air flow (or leak) problems were critical as well.

Comment

Yes, my filter crumbled into a million pieces too. I didn't totally rebuild the carbs, I just took the bowls off and cleaned the needle and seat valves and the jets (all completely clogged). I figured it wouldn't hurt much just to run it up and down the street a few times w/o the filter, but it didn't want to go much past 4k rpm.

So I guess my next move is for a new filter! Thanks guys

Comment

I bought a set of carbs for a 1984 450L on ebay for $34.95 ($27 + shipping). They were rebuilt and look almost brand new. I was going to use them for parts but they were too nice to tear apart. I'd be willing to let you have them for $34.95 plus shipping. Let me know.

You can view them on ebay at

Terry

Comment

I think I've got the carbs figured out. Thanks anyway though! If I can't get it running right I may take you up on that.

Richard

Comment

Working...
            X