Just a Click - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pain in the a$$ but...

Well done on the starter fix..back to new condition.

Only other advice I'd been given is to go thru and check all your ground connections. There were several on mine and I guess from vibration some of the bolts holding the grounds can come loose.

I followed the 'power'....

put a twist-tie on my clutch to free up a hand, measured voltage at battery, pushed start button and measured voltage going into the starter (checks to see if solinoid is working or not)....

I didn't go beyond there as my prob was dirty starter (whew!)

Comment

Final Update

First a sincere thank you to every one of you who assisted me and guided me through this issue, your help and advice resolved this situation (can't really say problem because it was actually several).

The bike is starting and running great now. Here's what happened. The starter was not shorted out, but it was non-functional due to the positive brush being shot. I did experience one issue that I was told is not uncommon in these starters as they age. Several of the magnets came loose from the body and caused an internal calamity when I had re-assembled everything. I was fortunate enough that the alternator/starter shop close by my house by pure chance had an old body from a different starter but was dimensionally identical in the center part that houses the magnets. He rebuilt it for me for $50.

So I know that the starter was bad. Now for the solenoid. I now suspect that the problems I had after rebuilding the starter and installing the new F496 solenoid was in fact the bullet connection in the wire from the solenoid connection to the harness (ignition, starter button, etc.). Once I cut that connector off and replaced it with a weather-proof spade connector, everything was fine.

By the way, for those of you who may use the Wells F496 in the future, the positive post is the top one with the mounting bracket on your left, the starter cable is the bottom, and the terminal connection (yellow/black wire) is the "I" terminal (top one on the right). The "S" terminal is left unconnected (does not require ground). The reason I say this is the note that comes with the F496 says to use the "S" and not the "I" terminal, but that may apply to cars?).

So, to make a long story short, rebuilt a bad starter, put in a new solenoid, and eliminated the poor bullet connector, and all is well. In summary, now I no longer know that the original solenoid was bad because of the bad bullet connector. But I do know the new solenoid is good, so I'm letting that sleeping dog lay undisturbed.

Finally, after a thorough carb cleaning with new o-rings/gaskets/pilot screws with only a bench-synch, nit-picky valve clearence job (nominal .051mm) with snapped cam cover bolts, and starter adventure, the GS650 starts great, runs strong, and pulls like a mustang.

Hey, it only took me two months :shock: \\/ .

Thanks and kudos to all of you who helped me through all three adventures. I have learned alot...

Best regards,
      Norseman

Comment

Congrats! \\/

Comment

glad you got her sorted

Comment

Working...
          X