78 GS1000 Front Master Cyl. Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 Front Master Cyl. Replacement

Phew. Not even finished with the last project yet here I go starting another.

Even though it works pretty good for such a big bike, I'd really like to improve the front brake. It won't stay pumped. I've bled three different ways, pushed, sucked, pulled, tried the tips and nuffin', no improvement.

Reading around on here tells me that it is likely a master cylinder issue. It doesn't appear that a rebuild kit is available for the 78, so it looks like the bike bandit is going to rob me of another $30. But before I go getting all credit card happy, here's my question.

Do I need to have any special tools to get the master out? I've read a few posts that mention these Pinocchio nose-long angled snap-ring pliers, but are they necessary on the 78? If they are, it is off the dealer. It will probably be cheaper to have it installed than to buy the pliers I'll never use again, or break trying to make them do something they weren't designed to do.

Thanks.

I'm also curious about this. I've got a 78 750 and have a crack in the resevoir

Comment

If the MC is the same as that on a '78 GS750C, rebuild kits are readily available. I purchased one recently from flatoutmotorcycles.com. And yes, if the cylinder looks like that on a '78 750 you will need the long-tip 90 degree pliers to remove the circlip. These pliers can be purchased online for about $6.00. The quality is not fantastic, but I've used the tool twice successfully. If you're interested, let me know and I'll look up and post the vendor.

rickt

Comment

Different

The 750 and 1000 are not the same. I've checked with the ususal supects (crc, z1, bikebandit, etc.) and not found a kit.

Probably do need the pliers, the 750 and 1000 cylinders seem to have at least a similar shape.

Comment

Bought the pliers at MikesXS.com. Looks like the current price is $9.

Might be worth taking the MC apart, giving the parts a good cleaning, running a hone in the cylinder, and putting in all back together. I did this with a Brit bike a few years ago and haven't had a problem since. You can tell pretty quickly if the piston and seals can be reused.

rickt

Comment

Working...
          X