Is it necessary to Hone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it necessary to Hone?

I am ready to install new piston rings in my 1980 GS 1100 .I can't find any information in my Clymer Manuel about honning the cylinders. I always thought it was a standard practise when installing new rings . Does anyone have any information on this subject? Thanks Joe

It may not be absolutely necessary, but it is very highly recommended. By honing the cylinder you are ensuring that the new rings will have an easier job of "seating" to the cylinder wall. Without honing, the rings are riding on a fairly polished surface, prolonging the amount of time it takes to seat the rings.

Comment

Depends on who you talk to. If it was mine I would hone it

Comment

Yes. There will be a small ridge at the top of the cylinders that will break the top ring if you don't either wet emery cloth the cylinders or hone them. and, the rings will have a hard time seating too.:-D

Comment

My understanding is that is pretty much essential. Plus if you're going through all the work and expense to take things apart and install new rings, it seems silly to not spend the few dollars and the short time it takes to do the job.

Comment

Yes hone!!! What, would be the negative?? Score "6" for "0" against
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes, you need to break that old glaze to seat the new rings for compression and so you don't burn a ton of oil. Not to mention the ridge, already mentioned. I only look at the clymer manual if something is unclear in the factory service manual. Maybe clymer assumes you're going to do it. Don't get carried away, you must have a different engine manual that shows the cross-hatch pattern. If you do it all day the rings won't seat because the cylinder is too large.

Comment

I've had good results at least three times using a Flex-Hone. It was about $25 from Goodson, and pretty much idiot-proof -- all you need is a cordless drill on a fairly slow speed.

A Flex-Hone is basically a big bottle brush with abrasive beads on each bristle. Keep it moving up and down as it spins and you get a perfect cross-hatch pattern every time, and break-in is quick and painless. Takes maybe two minutes.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

That's it Bow you tell em how it should be done. You are %100 correct, you might also try for a 60 deg. angle on your cross hatch.
                  V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Honning

Thanks for all of your advice .I am going to hone the cylinders this weekend . I purchased a flex Hone , hopefully I will get the perfect 60 degree Crosshatch pattern. Joe

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                      Yes. There will be a small ridge at the top of the cylinders that will break the top ring if you don't either wet emery cloth the cylinders or hone them. and, the rings will have a hard time seating too.:-D
                      If their is a ridge STOP start measuring things you need an over bore

Comment

Working...
                      X