Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork air pressure - GS850G

Hi,

Since my "new" 1980 GS850GT rides like a land yacht, I've been experimenting with simple suspension tweaks (rear shock adjustments, front fork air pressure).

The Clymer book says 8.5psi for the front fork air pressure. However, one pump from my trusty bicycle pump puts about 20psi in it. As I bled off the extra pressure and checked it with my tire gauge I realized not only that my gauge goes down to only 12psi but that there is so little air in the forks that just checking it dumps out at least 2psi.

Are there special gauges and pumps for the front forks to allow smaller increments?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Suzuki sells (sold-not sure if it's till available) a special gauge for it, but they also say their gauge in the stock toolkit will suffice. I would check an industrial supply for a low psi gauge, and splice fit it inline in your bicycle pump hose.

Comment

I should make a separate text file for this...

I'm pretty sure most of those digital gauges go down pretty far.

Since the air forks hold such a small volume of air, even the smallest release of air -- such as while attaching an air gauge to even measure the pressure -- will have a great effect on the fork pressure. It can take the patience of Job to get it close, and you'll never know for sure if you got it right -- because if you check, you lower the pressure again. Vicious circle.

Here's how I do it: I use a portable air tank and adjust the pressure in the tank to the desired fork pressure (I used to use 8 - 10 psi; I'm a little fatter now...).

Then take the hose coming from your portable tank and press and hold the chuck onto your fork fitting. Hold it for a few seconds. The fork pressure will now equal the tank pressure. Repeat with the other leg.

Because the tank has about a billion times the capacity of the forks, you won't change the tank pressure by doing this. You will also have equalized the pressure in each leg, without split-second applications of an air hose, or trial and error techniques.
      Last edited by robertbarr; 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Get ready to here this a few times.....

"Screw the air in the forks and get some progressive springs"

They talked me into it.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Get ready to here this a few times.....

"Screw the air in the forks and get some progressive springs"

They talked me into it.
          Thanks to Coug and Robert for excellent suggestions. And, yes Dave, new fork springs and rear shocks are in my future. I just don't know how soon. My buddy put new springs in his VX800 and let me ride it yesterday. Man, what a difference! But in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy my soft, cushy ride.

You guys are the best! Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X