Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugh...I'm just not sure where to go from here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh...I'm just not sure where to go from here...

Well, progress slowed and has apparently come to a stop at this point. I've reached the end of my knowledge here. First off, I'm working with an '82 850GL, with just over 30k on it. Over the winter, I cleaned the carbs and replaced gaskets on the cam cover, head, base, new exhaust gaskets, O-rings, etc...basically, installed an entire new vesarah set. I did NOT do the valve seals etc...as they didn't seem to be an issue all of last year. Anyhoo...now that everything is back together, the bike seems to start great, runs quite well albeit some minor idle issues. However, something is very different, now after running it for maybe fifteen minutes or so, the bike seems to get very very hot and there is quite a bit of blueish smoke escaping from the breather tube and literally fills the air box. I've done a search and found that this is most likely due to the rings, so...I may be done there. But I am curious, why is it running so damn hot, this is different than it ran last year, for sure. I ran it for no more than fifteen minutes today, out for about a mile or so, then ran it back into the garage and it was pinging and ticking like mad and the pipes were hot enough to boil water on contact. I'm not sure if I want to keep going on this project for now, I'm frustrated and just really want to ride. I am considering selling it or doing a part out and seeking out an 1000 or 1100 if I can find one around the area. So, questions, comments and/or flat out offers (lol!) are welcome.

hot = lean

I am no expert but I think I read somewhere that if you're running 'lean' it will burn hot...

Comment

did you download that pdf manual

that was out there for a bit on the 850? Its the factory manual as opposed to the Clymer...much more info. I downloaded it but I have a 650...helps with the common parts...

Comment

You've put enough oil in right. Filled it, checked again after turning the engine over 30 seconds or so. Maybe the carbs were clogged letting no air in and now there clean and are running lean.

Are the plugs bright white? Did the floats get disturbed during carb cleaning? Maybe an overly lean condition resulted.

Were the ring end gaps oriented properly?

Could the oil control rings on the piston and spacer been overlapped or bent?

Sometime exhaust manifold gaskets when new need to be retorqued after initially being squished.

How about the cam timing, I flubbed that on once, and rode around awhile before figuring out I was one tooth off.

You may know all this already, but just throwing out a few thoughts/
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Sounds like you have TOO much oil in her.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mybe you accidently somehow plugged an oil journal when you put it back together. The blue smoke out of the breather is an indication along with the pinging of overheating, as I am sure that you have figured out. After checking the condition of the plugs check the compression, for a possible weak cylinder. Smell the oil, if it smells at all burnt, replace it.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

How is it running? If the airbox isn't perfectly sealed, it will run like crap and run lean and very hot. Same if the intake o-rings are leaking.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you did not adjust the valves after repalcing gaskets I would seriously consider doing so. I did a similar job a couple of years ago and quite frankly just wanted the job done by the time it was over. The problem I had was too rich not too lean. the valves were all out of adjustment. After I addressed this the dilema was resolved.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X