Carb Rebuild, Start to Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild, Start to Finish

We all have the wonderful pictorial tutorial (it rhymes!) on how to dismantle and clean our carbs. What I would like to do is set up a thread that goes from the bike sitting with the dirty carbs in it, to the bike running beautifully. I would like a discussion on the following topics:
    1. Removal
    2. Cleaning (supplies, chemicals, use a rebuild kit, etc.)
    3. (then we have are tutorial)
    4. Reassembly (any thing to look out for)
    5. Installation of Carbs
    6. Adjustments which include air screw and syncing.
    I ask because I am about to take this grand adventure. I look forward to hearing the advice people have. Thanks!

Whew!

That's a pretty ambitious request!8-[
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
      I ask because I am about to take this grand adventure.
      Well, then you'd be the logical volunteer to lead the effort.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Using Existing Resources

I'm not sure about a thread - everything you'd ever want to know about carb cleaning/rebuilding (and a lot you don't want to know :-D ) is already here for the taking, thanks to a bunch of great guys willing to share time, efforts, and experience freely with all.

My suggestion is to do what I did (obviously :-D ). I used the search feature extensively, and when I found info that was applicable to my bike and carbs, I simply copied and pasted into my own technical documents by topic in MS Word, including graphics. Now I have resource documents at my fingertips that relates to my specific bike. I have a 1981 GS650GL, and I would be more than happy to e-mail you what I got, just PM me. I can easily send it to you in Word or PDFs.

I just think in a new open thread, you'll get "TMI" (too much info which may or may not give you what you need (model/carb type/year etc.). Also, a lot of very knowledgeable guys have already contributed a library of knowledge they would like us "newbies" to draw from, rather than repeating themselves.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. Also, I found that by doing it this way, just the searching and reading gave me a lot of great tips and tricks that I also collected and learned from for future situations and improvements.

Norseman

Comment

+1
          I don't think a thread would be much more concise than what's already available on this site.

When I first did mine, I studied the carb cleaning pictorial, then researched the old threads. After I got started, I ran across a couple of problems that had me stumped. I posted a question with a picture, and had an answer in 5 minutes that allowed me to continue on.

The only practical way I could make it easier for you, is to just have you bring your carbs over, and I'll do them myself.

(Actually, if you did bring them over, I would be happy to clean them while I show you how.)
          Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2007, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I think you are all correct. I have done what many of you said. Researched, searched the forums, etc. Infact, I pulled my carbs out of my bike about 2 hours ago and now they are just a heap of parts (actually, all individualized and labeled). I think I am doing alright. What I am not clear about is how to set the air screw and sync them. I have read a spec for my carb (82 gs650gl) that I the air screw is to be turned out 1.5 times. I have also read that you adjust a screw to reach max RPMS, lower the idle back down, then move on to the next one. This all makes sense.

With syncing, I know the tool for it. I don't know where the took would hook up. I also know the screws to adjust. I'm starting to think that the sync was my problem initially (but never hurts to clean out carbs). Anyway, when I get there, I get there and will figure it out.

Thanks for letting me know I was a little out of my element. I feel like a total newbie (I bought my first bike, (obviously my first Suzuki), less than a week ago and now the carbs are taken apart. Anyway, if anyone wants to answer my syncing questions, feel free. Otherwise, lets not try to make a single post for a carb rebuild. Or maybe I will when I'm done... Thanks.

Comment

Sounds great, Skyboy. The only thing I found on my 81 GS650GL was the pilot screws ended up less than 1.5 turns (I started at 1.25). With that and a gage'd bench-sync, the bike idles good at 1200 rpm. When I do buy the sync tool, hopefully soon, I'll have it running even better.

Now I'm running through the electrical and replacing all the bullet connectors. Next project is to update the fork springs, then replace the factory reg/rec with Electrex.

Never ending, but lots of fun...

Norseman

Comment

How do you do a gaged bench-sync? These are the fine details that I have not been able to find. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

We're nice!!

No worries, Skyboy!! We're all nice guys and, if you hang around, you'll get hooked on the fun. Some of us get a little 'edgy' every now and then (never me8-[) but when you need help, there is no shortage of good, old-fashioned, quality advice.

There are a bunch of us that have been involved in this forum for 5 or 6 years and we learn a great deal from each other. As others have said, using the search feature and available information is fairly complete but never hesitate to ask for advice or help. I can assure you that you'll get it...and, unless it comes from me, it will probably be accurate!:-D
                  Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-13-2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                    How do you do a gaged bench-sync? These are the fine details that I have not been able to find. Thanks for all your help.
                    You can use a fine wire and get pretty close but there's no substitute for a good instrument job (I'm a Morgan guy). You should be able to find a few good posts regarding that but it's fun to get a synch. gauge and you'll be happy you did.

Comment

Working...
                    X