Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on GS425L

Hi there,
    I'm relatively new to the site and am very new to motorcycles. I got my first bike 1979 GS425L and i have some questions.
    -I don't really like the handle bars that are currently on it. Are there alternative options for bars. I don't really want a straight bar, but I would like something that doesn't have as much lift and backward style that is currently on the bike. Has anyone else with the L model changed their bars?
    -Do I need to use the air box on the bike. I've seen several pics where people just seem to have the cone style air filters attached directly to the carbs.
    -Is there a way of changing the rear drum brakes to disc, and is there a way of going dual disc up front?

Is there anything that I should watch out for maintenance wise on this bike?

I'm going to do a ton of reading on this site, as it appears to have a lot of good information.
    I'm really excited about getting to work on this bike and make it look nice.

Thanks in advance guys

-I don't really like the handle bars that are currently on it. Are there alternative options for bars. I don't really want a straight bar, but I would like something that doesn't have as much lift and backward style that is currently on the bike. Has anyone else with the L model changed their bars?
    Changing bars is no problem. Just be careful of hose and cable length. With straighter, less-pulled-back bars, you will likely have extra length cables and hoses, just watch that they don't bind when you turn the bar.

-Do I need to use the air box on the bike. I've seen several pics where people just seem to have the cone style air filters attached directly to the carbs.
    I would recommend keeping the stock airbox, unless you are going to be racing or are trying to achieve a particular "look". By changing to individual pods, you will have to start playing with carburetor jetting, which can get to be a royal pain.

-Is there a way of changing the rear drum brakes to disc, and is there a way of going dual disc up front?
    Yes there is. Is it practical? Probably not. It would involve a new rear wheel, new mounts for the caliper, and probably a bunch of fabricating in the process. A well-adjusted drum brake will stop a 425 quite nicely.

Is there anything that I should watch out for maintenance wise on this bike?
    Just the normal fluid changes, and the infamous Suzuki charging problems. Lots of help on this site if you need it.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Changing the handlebars is easy enough with one exception: the stockers have holes where the controls clamp on. You need to drill holes in aftermarket bars or remove the small tabs in the controls.

Keep the stock airbox unless you want to spend $100 on a jet kit or spend a TON of time sorting out the jetting.

Changing to a rear disk is not feasable on a 400/425/450 since none of these bikes came stock with one - you are going to have to adapt something else which like jetting, is a pain.

For maintenance, make sure you check the valves. A special tool is necessary to change shims thus many owners neglect this critical maintenance.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hey guys,
        Thanks for the replies.
        I think i'm going to follow your advice and not do anything with the brakes and the air box, but i think i'm going to have to get new handle bars, as i discovered yesterday when i went to work on the bike at my in-laws that the handle bars are bent pretty bad.
        Does anyone know if the gs400 or gs450 have the same handle bars at the 425L?

Thanks
        G

Comment

i would say the handle bars should be the same aslong as its a L model of the other cc`s

Comment

Working...
          X