Stator Output - 83 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Output - 83 GS750E

I'm currently on my second stator (one original, one EBay electrex). Both only put out about 60 volts (I believe the manual calls for 90V). Other than a couple of bad stators, any thoughts as to what could be the problem? I changed the engine two years ago (due to previous owner crash damage) and used the new rotor. I'm also runnning an Electrex R/R and have had no charging problems?

Additionally, would the low stator output have an effect on the fuel mileage? I only get mileage in the low 30s. I have a a hesitation at WFO and can smell gas fumes at slower speeds.

No mods other than the Electrex R/R.

Thanks in advance.

Are you measuring the volts with the three wires disconnected? And at what RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      Are you measuring the volts with the three wires disconnected? And at what RPM?
      Measurements taken with wires disconnected and at 5000 rpm. And I've also used two different meters just in case.

Comment

Some aftermarket stators put out less voltage but more amperage.

If your bike is charging OK, this may not be worth worrying about.

Also, the magnets in rotors can sometimes get weaker over time. I'm not sure why this happens. I used to have a GS400 where everything else was fine but the rotor magnets were so weak it simply wouldn't put out much power.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Some aftermarket stators put out less voltage but more amperage.
          Thanks, I'd read that due to the thicker windings (?) an aftermarket stator may put out less voltage but more amperage.

If your bike is charging OK, this may not be worth worrying about.
          I haven't been too worried about it. I've been riding it as is for several years now with no major problems. Just the little ones (poor fuel milage and hesitation at WFO) that I mentioned in my original post. I also forgot to mention that the dash lights would get dimmer when the turn signals are on at idle. My recent concern comes from the addition of some small aftermarket turn signals. The new signals will only blink at 2000+ rpm. They do not work at idle. The original ones work fine.

Also, the magnets in rotors can sometimes get weaker over time. I'm not sure why this happens. I used to have a GS400 where everything else was fine but the rotor magnets were so weak it simply wouldn't put out much power.
          Agreed. However, I've used two different rotors with the same results.

Comment

Working...
          X