Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh ticking noise from engine. Help me identify (sound file)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you don't have the correct tool to help pinpoint the noise, maybe a vacuum cleaner tube attachment may help? I'm sure others here have ideas on pinpointing various noises with "home made" tools?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I use a long piece of 5/16ths fuel line.Fits in the ear nicely!!

Comment

I have that same exact noise going on... I was really worried... then I found out that it only happened when the gas tank was half full, I thought it had something to do with the petcock. when I put my ear on the tank it sounded like it was coming from there. Now I've read through this and you guys have got me worried. So if you find out what it is, please let me know! lol It's amazing how it is so easy to blame things when you don't want to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
          It's definitly not excessive cam endfloat knock. Many others on this forum can confirm this.

When you placed the mic against the tank, was it on top, or was it touching the side of the tank and also making contact with part of the engine (cam cover)? If it was touching both, the mic will be picking up noises from the valves/cams/chain/head area.
          Half way through the sound clip, just after you attach the mic to the tank, the sound rises and falls, sounding as though the engine is trying to stumble but then regains its rhythm.
          Apart from a seriously loose valve, the only time I have heard a similar sound, is when a small piece of head gasket has blown out between the head and the barrell. This will also cause the engine to stumble at and slightly above idle. A badly leaking exhaust flange gasket will also give a rhythmic ticking sound as well.
          The mic is resting on the top of the tank. It's basically the same thing you hear when you put your ear to the tank (top, side, wherever), but the recording/mic "bring out" the tick a bit more than real life.

I revved the motor a few times during the recording. Two quick blips and one longer rev. The motor runs very smoothly and doesn't stumble at any point. In fact the bike runs GREAT, so this issue, although sounding scary, doesn't seem to manifest in any other way...

I really should check the exhaust gaskets. The bike was in a wreck that slightly tweaked one header. I'm not sure if the sound was present before that or not.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
            Since you don't have the correct tool to help pinpoint the noise, maybe a vacuum cleaner tube attachment may help? I'm sure others here have ideas on pinpointing various noises with "home made" tools?
            I've always used the old screwdriver to the ear method. Works pretty good but I haven't been able to decisively find one magic spot for the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by bexabarr View Post
              I have that same exact noise going on... I was really worried... then I found out that it only happened when the gas tank was half full, I thought it had something to do with the petcock. when I put my ear on the tank it sounded like it was coming from there. Now I've read through this and you guys have got me worried. So if you find out what it is, please let me know! lol It's amazing how it is so easy to blame things when you don't want to deal with them.
              Wow. You are a prophet or something!

Would you guys believe it *IS* the petcock? Every time the engine vacuum on #2 cyl pulses, the petcock clicks. I verified this with "mouth vacuum" with the tank off the bike (makes a click every time you suck) and removing and plugging the petcock vacuum hose with the bike running (click gone). This is probably not proper operation for the petcock, but it's been leaky lately anyway so I'll probably do the "convert to manual" trick from the tips&tricks forum.

That's why it's so stinkin' loud with your ear/mic to the tank but you can't hear it otherwise. And that's why I could listen all over the motor with my screwdriver and not pin it down. The tank is like a guitar body and the petcock is like a guitar string. Unbelievable; I never would have guessed it!

Of course my clutch basket is also a bit chattery, and that's what's causing the slight pulsing in the clutch actuation lever. But I knew that already and it's not an uncommon thing... And the pulse in the tensioner knob is probably normal operation too; after all, it's supposed to automatically keep tension on that chain.

Plus the really good news is, after listening to every square inch of my motor with a screwdriver "stethascope", I can say that motor sounds pretty dang good!

Thanks, bexabarr! What a relief! ;-)
              Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2007, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah? But I can hear a second, even more horrible sounding noise in that audio. It's too horrible to even mention what it could be. I didn't have the heart to say it.

Seriously, that's the loudest petcock I've ever heard. I haven't heard that on many bikes I've been around. The noise stops when running on prime position?
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                  Oh yeah? But I can hear a second, even more horrible sounding noise in that audio. It's too horrible to even mention what it could be. I didn't have the heart to say it.
                  That's just the bewildered whimpers of an exasperated GS owner... ;-)

Seriously, that's the loudest petcock I've ever heard. I haven't heard that on many bikes I've been around. The noise stops when running on prime position?
                  Didn't try prime but I can reproduce the sound exactly with the tank off the bike and a vacuum hose in my mouth. Also put the handy "eardriver" up to the petcock and *bingo*, you've obviously located the source. Plus no tickey when the bike is running and you remove the vacuum hose.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                    Wow. You are a prophet or something!

Would you guys believe it *IS* the petcock? Every time the engine vacuum on #2 cyl pulses, the petcock clicks. I verified this with "mouth vacuum" with the tank off the bike (makes a click every time you suck) and removing and plugging the petcock vacuum hose with the bike running (click gone). This is probably not proper operation for the petcock, but it's been leaky lately anyway so I'll probably do the "convert to manual" trick from the tips&tricks forum.

That's why it's so stinkin' loud with your ear/mic to the tank but you can't hear it otherwise. And that's why I could listen all over the motor with my screwdriver and not pin it down. The tank is like a guitar body and the petcock is like a guitar string. Unbelievable; I never would have guessed it!

Of course my clutch basket is also a bit chattery, and that's what's causing the slight pulsing in the clutch actuation lever. But I knew that already and it's not an uncommon thing... And the pulse in the tensioner knob is probably normal operation too; after all, it's supposed to automatically keep tension on that chain.

Plus the really good news is, after listening to every square inch of my motor with a screwdriver "stethascope", I can say that motor sounds pretty dang good!

Thanks, bexabarr! What a relief! ;-)
                    Well done.
                    It's not where I was looking.
                    Another mystery solved and stored for future reference. We all benefit from these forums.
                    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

So... anyone else out there have the magic rythmic petcock?

Comment

uff that is a relieve for me too!!! lol. Glad I could help. I think that this is the first time out of all my post that I actually help someone specifically. It is a good feeling let me tell ya. I knew this day would come hehe. Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by bexabarr View Post
                          uff that is a relieve for me too!!! lol. Glad I could help. I think that this is the first time out of all my post that I actually help someone specifically. It is a good feeling let me tell ya. I knew this day would come hehe. Take care.
                          Hehe. I must admit when I read your post earlier I thought to myself "yeah right, petcock -- he's out of his mind...". :-D

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                            Hehe. I must admit when I read your post earlier I thought to myself "yeah right, petcock -- he's out of his mind...". :-D
                            Hahaha...when I wrote it that's exactly the response I was expecting to get...

Comment

I'm going to check tomorrow, but it sounds like my bike as well. I've adjusted the valves but the sound persists.

Is the answer to "live" with it or replace/rebuild petcock?

Comment

So far my petcock is still working acceptably. If it bothers you or you have other petcock issues, replace with a Pingel or another OEM or whatever. The sound itself isn't an indication of failure, I don't think.

Comment

Working...
                                X