have a look at my can(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have a look at my can(s)

Will these make me look fat \\/ (or phat)? Just picked em up at the Harley shop for a case of beer.

Looking to replace the holey megaphones with these new mufflers. I've never done this before.
    Hoping for advice, encouragement and wisdom from the GSers here.

My first question is: what do I use to chop off the old ones?
    Next, how do I attach the new mufflers at the junction - do they need to be welded? If yes, do i assume tig? Are there other options? Do you think I'll need to rejet? How do I know?

Thanks in advance,
    James

NO offense, but it looks like you are on your way to fugly town, I think you just wasted a case of beer. If you are determined to mount those on your 400, just cut at the old weld and slide the old pipe up inside the muffler til it looks right ( it won't) You can get some stepped adaptors made at a muffler shop for almost nothing, use mikalor hydraulic hose clamps to mount them so you can take them off again.
    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Fuglytown - population - me

Originally posted by derwood View Post
      NO offense, but it looks like you are on your way to fugly town, I think you just wasted a case of beer. If you are determined to mount those on your 400, just cut at the old weld and slide the old pipe up inside the muffler til it looks right ( it won't) You can get some stepped adaptors made at a muffler shop for almost nothing, use mikalor hydraulic hose clamps to mount them so you can take them off again.
      None taken, and it's not really a waste of beer as he wanted Coors light

Don't get me wrong, I won't defile this sweet ride with these forever. But right now, i don't care which town i end up in as long as I can ride there. The weather is too good right now.
      I been watching ebay, craig's list, here and elsewhere and will continue to look for a set of stock pipes, but until i get them, I'll slip these on.

The real issue is I need to do some troubleshooting and I gotta start isolating the problems. The Rpm's stick at around 4000 once the bike warms up.
      My plan is to make sure that the exhaust system is doing it's job properly, then carry on, but with the "holey hunk spitters" that are on there, I have no idea what's happening where.

Thanks for the advice.

Will I need a stepped adaptor if i slip them inside the other pipe where the megaphone is just a little bigger? Do I need to pack anything in there? Can I cut em with a hacksaw?

j

Comment

Sounds like you wont need an adapter, cut a couple of 1/2" slots down the sides with your hacksaw in order to help the clamp squash the pipe for a good seal.

Not sure about re-jetting, wouldn't have thought Harley mufflers breathe much different to stock megaphones (especially not "holey" ones).

I saw a pic on here of a bike with stock Harley cans similar to this. Looked ok to me...

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Another GSer in PA did the same

I believe it was Black Dog (Dennis) put a pair on his 1000G, saw them at the central PA ride 2 years ago. Looked fine, sounded fine, seemed not to have affected how it ran. He said that the Harley dealer had piles of them in the back room taken off brand new Harleys, and the dealership was giving them away for free!
          Last edited by jknappsax; 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
          1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
            I believe it was Black Dog (Dennis) put a pair on his 1000G, saw them at the central PA ride 2 years ago. Looked fine, sounded fine, seemed not to have affected how it ran. He said that the Harley dealer had piles of them in the back room taken off brand new Harleys, and the dealership was giving them away for free!
            Yeah, pretty much same deal here. We went upstairs and there was literally a pile to sort through.
            The ones i ended up with are going to require some kind of bracket to be built because the mounts are not very close to the original mufflers. Also, these are a bit bigger (1 1/2" vs 1 1/4") than a perfect fit, but beggars can't be choosers.

Comment

What ever works is fine. Look at local auto parts they may have an adapter to fit Or check with muffler shop Not a dificult project. Figure where the muffler will be befire cutting Hacksaw/ jigsaw will work fine for cutting

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                No, sir... THIS is Fugly Town, and I am the mayor.
                :-D

Comment

damn

damn,...... bgmart450 that is most definately one overly fugley exhaust :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450 View Post
                    No, sir... THIS is Fugly Town, and I am the mayor.
                    :-D
                    I suppose my sense of aesthetics is over-ruled by my appreciation of practicality. Looks sort of Mad Maxish and Mel Gibson was cool back then.
                    One question tho...
                    You went to the trouble of building that exhaust (or crawling under a rusty old '42 ford pick-up with a hacksaw), but it looks like it's still in the way of the rear axle - non?

by the way, I LOVE the his & hers. I even showed the wife, but she didn't even feign interest. Sigh.

Don't suppose you have a spare front fairing you want to sell to a GS brother?

J
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2007, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      Sounds like you wont need an adapter, cut a couple of 1/2" slots down the sides with your hacksaw in order to help the clamp squash the pipe for a good seal.

Not sure about re-jetting, wouldn't have thought Harley mufflers breathe much different to stock megaphones (especially not "holey" ones).

I saw a pic on here of a bike with stock Harley cans similar to this. Looked ok to me...

Dan
                      Thanks Dan,

I just realized that these harley mufflers have catalytic convertors in them. Any ideas about that? One suggestion was to chisel the convertors outta there, but I dunno....

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
                        Thanks Dan,

I just realized that these harley mufflers have catalytic convertors in them. Any ideas about that? One suggestion was to chisel the convertors outta there, but I dunno....
                        Cats? are you sure?

Even if they are, just leave them. No harm at all. The restriction will be similar to some OE mufflers which is what you want anyway.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I suppose my sense of aesthetics is over-ruled by my appreciation of practicality. Looks sort of Mad Maxish and Mel Gibson was cool back then.
                          One question tho...
                          You went to the trouble of building that exhaust (or crawling under a rusty old '42 ford pick-up with a hacksaw), but it looks like it's still in the way of the rear axle - non?

by the way, I LOVE the his & hers. I even showed the wife, but she didn't even feign interest. Sigh.

Don't suppose you have a spare front fairing you want to sell to a GS brother?

J
                          No, they came that way when I bought the bike. Well mostly. The mid section of the left side cracked apart riding home one day. I asked a muffler shop to cut out the cross-section piece (was leaking like mad anyways) and just place in connectors looks be dammed (like they could look worse LOL). And yeah, those pacs still block the axle, good thing is now I only have to remove one as they are completely seperate.

Sorry the fairing is the only one we have, and she ain't lettin go of it .
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2007, 11:48 AM.

Comment

J

I tried an experiment with my wife. Same reply.

Comment

here is a pic of the old vs the new

painted the bracket with bbq paint, then cooked it in there to cure it.

Comment

Working...
                              X