1979 GS1000G cam cover bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000G cam cover bolts

Hi all im aout to buy maybe a 1979 gs1000g ,22000 miles on it, is there a problem with the cam cover bolts , i understand they fitted 2 more on later models, is this a problem with leaking oil all the time, or would i be better off waiting for a later 82 onwards model,also is the 1100 models a better motor, need a quick answer as im suposed to e buying it sunday, regards jondonwar@hotmail.com

Re: 1979 GS1000G cam cover bolts

I have a 79 750E and a 80 1100E and neither of them leak around the cam cover or show any evidence of ever having leaked. I'm not aware of the 79 1000 having any problems either.

Earl

Originally posted by jondonwar
    Hi all im aout to buy maybe a 1979 gs1000g ,22000 miles on it, is there a problem with the cam cover bolts , i understand they fitted 2 more on later models, is this a problem with leaking oil all the time, or would i be better off waiting for a later 82 onwards model,also is the 1100 models a better motor, need a quick answer as im suposed to e buying it sunday, regards jondonwar@hotmail.com
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I owned an "80" GS 1000G from "80" thru "81" ran up apprx. 20,000 mi. Had cam cover off two times for valve adjustments. Reused same gasket, No leaks,

Comment

I have a 78 1000e. I have never had leaking problems

Comment

Go for it I had a 79 GS1000 many years ago, currently have a GS850.
          The only real difference is the carbs. 79 has the mechanical slide type, 1980 later all have the Vacuum BS type carbs. Or you could go to the later 4 valve 1100. But if it only has 22K and is in reasonable condition.
          It's will make a terific bike.
          Mine sat unused for 12 years before I purchased it, runs like new now.

Comment

Working...
          X