Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RR replacement - is it really necessary??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR replacement - is it really necessary??

Hi,

I just finished messing with my charging system & after running a new earth to the RR direct from battery & cleaning up a load of connectors I now have a stable 13.7v at all RPM's.

One thing I found out is that my bike already has an aftermarket Stator.
    I could tell by the soldered connections & the fact that all 3 wires are white....

The RR looked to be a stock one (at least the wiring is stock colours). The number on the heatsink casting is TS1******** (I left the rest in the garage but it's a long number....)

My question is this:

This RR seems to have lunched one Stator already & I really don't want to have to replace one if I can help it so would an Electrex or similar RR (with controllers for all three phases) fitted now be a worthwhile "futureproof" investment??

What do people recommend & where from?

Cheers,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

if you c;eaned and maintained as many connections as you can get your hands on, my guess is that you will be fine, Just run extra grounds where you are able to.

Just a downside though. I have had the honda rr mod for years and the bike also had an aftermarket stator on it when i bought it. With all the connection cleaning and extra ground wires I still cooked the stator about 5 years ago. Why???? I still dont know.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2007, 01:43 AM.

Comment

The stator is oil cooled a low oil level could possibly send the stator to an early grave. AN engine out of tune could do it to, excessive vibration could cause the wires to wear & short out

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 13.7 volts is good enough. \\/

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was just concerned a little about this 3 phase deal with only 2 phases being regulated or would mine as an 80 model have all 3 regulated properly?

From starting the bike up etc it was surprising how much the battery level dropped so ordinarily it wouldn't be a problem, I do short runs & it would all be pouring into the battery, I guess on a long run is where it would feel it.

I'm religious about the oil level. Going to try to fit the progressive springs & new oil seals tomorrow (wife's going shopping....) wish me luck!

SqDancerLynn - if the offer is still open on that Valve adjust help I'm working on a mate to let me borrow his Toyota tacoma, I think I can get it in the back of that.
          I have a Chevy Astro that it also might go into but I need to get the tape out... I think it's too tall plus I don't have ramps so would need to make some up. Any good weekends for you coming up soon? It would be much appreciated. I need to get some gaskets though. Will try to do that this week. Maybe I'll just hit Marine Suzuki & save messing around with the Silicon job as he doesn't list the 1000G.

Cheers,

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X