Main Jet washer? Carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Jet washer? Carb rebuild

I ran into a part within all 4 of my carbs that I can't find on fiche or within the tutorial. It is a rubber type washer between the main jet and the metal (I think it is metal) washer. Attached is a picture. Should I take these out, replace them, or what? Thanks.

It should be rubber on both sides with a brass center. If the rubber looks good and is not torn around the edges, clean them up good, and put'em back in. :-D

Comment

So, I see #40 which is the brass washer. I have that one plus a rubber one which is not shown. This is my concern. Maybe Norseman can shed some light.

Comment

Rubber

I'm almost certain the rubber washer isn't supposed to be there. I have a couple of sets of carbs and neither set has them....(and my bike goes 'like the wind'). I think someone added them thinking it was a good idea. I would go by the schematic. Those engineers knew what they were doing!:-|
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Chuck,

Thanks. This was the answer I was fishing for. I had a sneeking suspicion. Anyone else run into this?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
            I'm almost certain the rubber washer isn't supposed to be there.
            It's not. I'm 100% certain of that. I think people buy carb rebuild kits and they're not sure what to do with the extra parts, so they install them somewhere. Some previous owner long ago got a little confused.

There's just a brass washer under that jet, as you suspected.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

As others said, the rubber washer shouldn't be there.
              Is that corrosion between the rubber and metal washer? That's a lot.
              Carbs need a major cleaning if that jet is any indication. Possible parts replacements.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Its not corrosion. Just some gunk probably from the rubber washer. I am giving everything a thorough cleaning. Parts are in great shape after cleaning. Thanks Keith

Comment

OK. Glad it's not some kind of corrosion. I kept looking at it on zoom and couldn't make sense of what it was. Kinda brownish and crusty looking. Kinda like Earl.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The gunk might have come from a PO doing a carb dip without realizing there was a rubber part. You should double check to make sure the main jet is stock, the rubber washer 'might' have come from a re-jetting kit. Keep an eye on that gunk, it could easily get into the float pin and cause your carb to flood.

Comment

Roger that. That was a pre-cleaning picture. Afterward, they are very nice and clean. As for a non-stock jet that requires it, I'm not sure. I'm just going to ditch the washer and see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X