tach/speedometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach/speedometer question

Ok, so my tachometer hasn't worked for a long time cause the cable broke, no big deal. Now my speedometer stopped working so I obviously have no clue as to how fast I am goin. I just replaced both cables with no success to get either gauge to work. Went by the junkyard and all the gauges for my gs are sold. However, on a gs650, I did notice the gauges look exactly the same. The guy at the junkyard wasn't sure if they would work or not on my bike. So my question is will the tach/speedometer from a different model work on my bike? Assuming of course that the speedo only goes up to 85 since that is what the current one maxes at.

Thanks for any advice :-D

It will work fine since the gearing is the same for all models having the same diameter front wheel. It will work, that is not same same as saying it will fit your dash. You will have to verify that visually. 85 or 140 mph speedo model makes no difference.

E.

Originally posted by riskadh View Post
    Ok, so my tachometer hasn't worked for a long time cause the cable broke, no big deal. Now my speedometer stopped working so I obviously have no clue as to how fast I am goin. I just replaced both cables with no success to get either gauge to work. Went by the junkyard and all the gauges for my gs are sold. However, on a gs650, I did notice the gauges look exactly the same. The guy at the junkyard wasn't sure if they would work or not on my bike. So my question is will the tach/speedometer from a different model work on my bike? Assuming of course that the speedo only goes up to 85 since that is what the current one maxes at.

Thanks for any advice :-D
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

wish i could find the post(?) on how to open up your gauges and repair. my 82 850l speedo quit. opened it up, cleaned it up, works like new. wasn't real hard to do. took my time. unless you look very close at gauge you can't tell i opened it. more info, let me know.

Comment

I am pretty sure it was "skreemer" that made that post. Why not try a pm to him?

E.

Originally posted by saddlewarmer View Post
        wish i could find the post(?) on how to open up your gauges and repair. my 82 850l speedo quit. opened it up, cleaned it up, works like new. wasn't real hard to do. took my time. unless you look very close at gauge you can't tell i opened it. more info, let me know.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X