Popping Spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping Spark plugs

Hey on my 80 450 the left side (as you are on it, the only way to be, right?) spark plug keeps giving out on me. I think there is a bit of carbon appearing on that one, but by the time I am looking at them they are covered in gas. Any ideas where to start here? Thanks!

Start by checking the usual stuff first, float needlevalve sticking/worn, petcock bad, etc. there are alot of posts on problems similar to yours, look at those also for more ideas. :twisted:

Comment

Replace the plug, but before you put the new plug in check to make sure that a good strong spark is getting through the plug wire to the plug. Make sure the spark is not arching from the plug wire to the motor.

Comment

If you have a problem with gas going where it should not be, IE your cylinders, you should check your oil to see if it has any gas in it . If it does you should change your oil first before you even think of starting your engine. You could do major damage to it.

Comment

Re: Popping Spark plugs

Originally posted by bgmart450
          Hey on my 80 450 the left side (as you are on it, the only way to be, right?) spark plug keeps giving out on me. I think there is a bit of carbon appearing on that one, but by the time I am looking at them they are covered in gas. Any ideas where to start here? Thanks!
          Check that the output from the coil is good.
          I had the same on one cylinder for two years and it turned out to be a weak spark form on coil, replaced coil and all was well.
          I spent a fortune on plugs that worked for a few weeks and then just seemed to get wet and not spark

Phil 8O

Comment

Working...
          X