Sprocket and chain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket and chain ?

If I drop the rear sprocket to a 39, how many links am I going to have to remove from my chain? Does anyone know a formula for figuring this out?
    Also, my new chain has a rivetted link that I MIG tacked, can I use any companies o-ring master link when I break the chain again?

Assuming youre going from a #630 stock 45 tooth rear sprocket to a #630 39 tooth sprocket, that is 6 links divided by an upper and lower chain run, so the answer should be three. Or, to think of it another way, the chain wraps 180 degrees of the rear sprocket, so the chain is engaged on 22 1/2 teeth on the 45 tooth sprocket and for 19 1/2 teeth on the 39 tooth sprocket. 22 1/2 minus 19 1/2 is three. ............... You will need to remove three links to complete the circle around both sprockets without moving the sprocket.

Up until recently, I used clip masterlinks with never any problem. In using one, be sure to use one for the type of chain you have. Meaning if you have an RK SO "O" ring chain, buy an RK SO. "O" ring link. Different manufacture masterlinks in some cases will not fit at all and in other cases, the sealing ring is not correct. Specifically, Tsubaki links will fit no other brand.
    The answer then is no, order the specific masterlink for your brand and model of chain.

E.

Originally posted by Clone View Post
    If I drop the rear sprocket to a 39, how many links am I going to have to remove from my chain? Does anyone know a formula for figuring this out?
    Also, my new chain has a rivetted link that I MIG tacked, can I use any companies o-ring master link when I break the chain again?
    Last edited by earlfor; 04-16-2007, 01:30 AM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
      Your 1983 GS750ED came with a 112 link 530 chain, with 14T/43T sprockets front and rear. I would estimate that you would have to go from 112 to 110 links. Chain lengths are always in even numbers. You should use the Sprocket Optimizer to do the calculation. The results are usually accurate if the input info is correct.

I would only use an O-ring master link from the same chain company.

Comment

If the current sprocket is 43 tooth, changing to a 39 would mean shortening the chain 2 links. It may be possible to set the rear axle rearward enough that you dont have to shorten the chain. Depends on how far forward it normally is as to whether you will have that much adjustment available.

E.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks guys, you're great.:-D

Comment

Working...
          X