Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 750T Clutch Problem

Hey there;

My clutch started slipping last year so I bought new friction plates & springs and put them in (I did not change the clutch plates though - they looked pretty good to me, smooth, no discolouring etc)

The new friction plates helped but did not completely solve the problem - for one thing, under fast acceleration, the clutch was still slipping so I had to back out the adjustment as much as I could so it wouldn't slip anymore.

Backing out the adjustment means that my clutch is almost engaged when you pull the lever in - but it's the only way I could adjust it so it wouldn't slip. I backed it off just enough so it doesn't drag.

Anyways, it's started slipping again this year and not only that - when it's cold, the clutch is dragging when you pull the lever in - but it stops dragging once brought up to temperature. If I were to adjust it though, it'll start slipping even more.

So, my question is, what could be the cause of this:
    • Clutch plates
    • Springs
    • Something else???
    Thanks!

Kevin
    Regina, SK, Canada

Most likely is that the springs need replacing.

E.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

What type of oil are you using? Car or motorcycle oil? It may be as simple as switching to motorcycle oil if you are using the former and not the latter.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

You might have some glazing on your steel plates. Take them out and take a brillo pad or SOS pad to clean them.
        If not it's the oil you are running. Use dino at the suggested weight and see if that helps.
        If all that doesn't help I have some HD Vance and Hines clutch springs I'll sell you but I'll feel sorry for you if you ever get stuck in traffic.
        Have you modded this motor at all?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh man, I thought you said Chick problem............:-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            Oh man, I thought you said Chick problem............:-D
            So, what's on your mind Dan?:-D
            I know it's spring and all..................
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I am running standard 10W40 Castrol nonsynthetic Motor Oil...so that may be the problem?

Thanks for the quick replies...

Comment

Would AMSOIL be a decent choice - or would it compound the problem?

Thanks...

Comment

Just try some plain old mineral based motorcycle oil to start and see what happens.
                  2010 Honda VFR1200F
                  1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                  Being Revisited
                  1981 Honda CM400T
                  http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

KEVIN, when does the clutch slip? I had what I thought was a slipping clutch once. After i changed it (still slipped) I found out that the cable was starting to seize and not returning cleanly all the time, You couldn't tell from the lever. New cable fixed it. probably could have just lubed it though. I now have a cable luber somewhere.
                    Oh yea , it slipped in every gear especially after quick changes. A worn clutch generally starts slipping in the higher gears first.

DAVE
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                    X