Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank

I have a 1980 GS1100L and am wondering if it is possible to put a larger fuel tank on this bike. I plan on doing some serious riding this summer and would prefer to ride instead of looking for fuel every 120 - 130 miles.

This bike has the stock tank on it, and I get roughly 40mpg cruising at 65 -70mph.

I'm looking to increase my cruising range without changing the looks of this bike too much.

I know the E model tanks are bigger, but I have no Idea if they will match the contour of your seat, or how close the buckhorn bars will come to the tank. Shouldn't be that close.

Comment

Unfortunately you are stuck with what you have as other GS tanks wont fit , Sorry.
      Dink

Comment

Tank fitting

After my old 79 1000 tank rusted out from the inside out ,I tried all different GS tanks & I found them all to be very specific from model to model..........so.......
        Your options are rather narrow I believe.....
        You could have one custom fit.....rather, find a rather large tank you think would hold what your looking for and then have someone reweld the mounting points to fit. You will have to measure alot of 'points of interest'
        Length,width,interference points, bar interference.....etc. If you can 'test' fit a wide selection of available tanks it would speed up the process immensly.
        Rick........

Comment

Working...
        X