custom intake boots and new gas tank questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom intake boots and new gas tank questions

Ok guys, since i am extremely poor and cannot afford a full set of new intake boots, i decided im going to use my existing ones (rubber extremly cracked and usless) and make my own. im going to take a section of piping, maybe an inch long, and the same size of the carbs, and weld it to the intake after i get rid of all the rubber. Once i know my weld is air tight, i will simply buy some hose, clamp the hose to the intake, then clamp the hose to the carb, anyone see any problems with this ?

SECOND, i have decided i dont care for the look of the tank on my gs1000gl or whatever, its the 1000 shaft drive. i like the look of a tank my friend has, but the petcock is just an on of switch. Ive searched the forums and i think i found my answer, but i want to be 100% sure before i spend my precious 15$ on this tank hehe. Ive heard that the vaccum line doesnt matter, its there to get the fuel to start moving, so could i have just an on/off petcock, but before i start blow(or suck, not sure) on the vaccum line to get it running ? my last gs1000 simply had an on/off petcock and worked fine, but i have had gs1000's in the past that when you would pull off the vaccume hose(to a stock petcock) it would run poorly, then once you put it back on it would run good. Thanks for the help guys !!!!!!!!!!!!

Veggy

any help would be great !, thank you !

Comment

I think that you are looking for trouble with the carb boots, and the vacume line is required to open the gas valve and keep it open for fuel flow.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

thanks !, im gonna go ahead and try the intake boots, if it fails there is really no loss hehe, but if it works, sweet ! I have my stock tank and petcock that work fine, so im going to take the petcock off of that and put it on the other tank im looking at since i do need the vaccum line

Comment

wielding on the intake

Hey:

A buddy of mine did exactly what you are considering to remove the need for new rubber intake boots.

Just make sure that the pipe is not too long. The distance between the carbs and the valves does matter and will affect performance.

We used a section of standard (straight) radiator hose to clamp the carbs to the intake (use the more narrow stock clamps/not hose clamps). We removed the air box as well so I had to make sure to secure the carbs (they were sorta hangin' and unstable). I secured the carbs with a large "tie-strap" from the frame above the carbs. It worked fine.

Concerning your petcock. I have never rebuilt a petcock. When they go bad I break them apart and place a piece of plastic (like from a milk carton) over the space where the diaphram sits. That way the petcock remains in the "on" position. I then put a one-way valve in-line to the carbs. I prefer it because I just turn the gas off when I'm not riding and I never have to worry about a carb-float sticking and filling my crankcase with gas.

Good Luck: Kid

Comment

I can not understand how you are going to take your new rubber hose and "weld it to the intake". Also, not sure about your 1000, but both my 650 and my 850 have tubes that are angled just a bit, to keep the carbs narrower than the head. Good luck with that part.

The intake tubes from BikeBandit are $21.95. New o-rings for them are $1.82. Total for all four is $95.08. For the drastic improvement in the way the bike would run, that is quite reasonable, in my opinion. Certainly not worth all the hassle of trying to cobble something up.

Your other issue of the gas tank...
            "i have decided i dont care for the look of the tank on my gs1000gl or whatever". Do you not know what you have for sure? Unless your friend's tank (that you like) is from an 850 or 1000 L model, you are going to have to do some serious work to mount it properly. If he has the standard, not the L model, the tanks are drastically different and will not interchange.

The petcock issue is much simpler. First, please understand how it works. The vacuum line is there to open the fuel flow so it can flow the entire time the engine is running, not just when it starts. You can change the petcock to a simple ON/OFF valve if you wish, but when you remove the vacuum line, plug it to prevent a vacuum leak to the carb. That is why it runs so poorly when you pull it. If you plug that line, it will run smoothly again, at least until you run the gas out of the carbs because you just turned off the petcock. You will also have to make sure the petcock you install will fit the tank mounting holes. Again, too much hassle for me.

In my opinion, save your precious $15 you want to spend on the tank, also save the extra money it will take to get the new petcock, put that money toward the new intake tubes and o-rings. Get used to the look of the tank or sell the bike if you really don't like it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

With your custom set-up, how would you do a carb synch?

Comment

i think some of you have the wrong idea of what im doing, but ill get a picture when im done, should be a pretty stout setup. the tank is gonna be great actualy, im just going to reweld some mounts further upfront so the tank will set correctly, should look great. ive done a lot of welding so the mounts for the tank wont be a problem, the intake boots, once you see them you will understand, i bought everything i needed today, should at the very least be fun

Comment

Originally posted by Vegerito View Post
                  Ok guys, since i am extremely poor and cannot afford a full set of new intake boots, i decided im going to use my existing ones (rubber extremly cracked and usless) and make my own. im going to take a section of piping, maybe an inch long, and the same size of the carbs, and weld it to the intake after i get rid of all the rubber. Once i know my weld is air tight, i will simply buy some hose, clamp the hose to the intake, then clamp the hose to the carb, anyone see any problems with this ?

SECOND, i have decided i dont care for the look of the tank on my gs1000gl or whatever, its the 1000 shaft drive. i like the look of a tank my friend has, but the petcock is just an on of switch. Ive searched the forums and i think i found my answer, but i want to be 100% sure before i spend my precious 15$ on this tank hehe. Ive heard that the vaccum line doesnt matter, its there to get the fuel to start moving, so could i have just an on/off petcock, but before i start blow(or suck, not sure) on the vaccum line to get it running ? my last gs1000 simply had an on/off petcock and worked fine, but i have had gs1000's in the past that when you would pull off the vaccume hose(to a stock petcock) it would run poorly, then once you put it back on it would run good. Thanks for the help guys !!!!!!!!!!!!

Veggy
                  not a bad idea ..but when you use metal pipe then a peice of rubber over top of it there will be that area of metal sitting higher than the rubber and could throw off the smooth flow of the air/fule going into the cylender (not sure if that made any sence). not saying it wont work!! maybe you could grind that section of the pipe to be more flush with the rubber.. but keep an eye out on ebay ! i found my intake boots for $30 used but in great cond. , you could also try posting a wanted ad on craigslist.com

Comment

yea, basically, i just want to see if i can pull it off, its always nice to have a completly custom bike, all the way down to the intake boots lol. i got rid of my last bike http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9449722&rd=1,1
                    so now i need a new project as long as i keep the pipe im welding to the metal part of the intakes short, i couldnt see it giving me a big problem, and like you said, i could grind it out and smooth it out, might not lose any performance thanks for the help with the vacuum line guys, my last gs1000 ran with an on off switch and i always wondered why it ran fine haha. so, ill get a mock up tomorrow of what its going to look like, and also, as long as i have the time i should be able to throw together a few intakes and try them out !!! woo hoo !

Comment

I bought a whole head with cams and good intake boots on ebay for $10. I only used the intake boots and valve shims off it. Save your time and fork over money for intake boots.

Comment

New intake boots are the best $80 I ever spent on my bike.

But anyway, why not just use radiator hose? I've seen a lot of guys do that.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

i think once you guys see the finish product you will see what i mean, im going out to throw one together right now i think its going to work great actually, if not, ill make them work for something else lol, ill keep you guys updated

Comment

****runs great !!! wooo hooo ********

here we go, they turned out great !, also theres a picture of the tank im going to be using, lol yes its honda, but should end up looking good

Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2007, 06:05 PM. Reason: oops lol

Comment

cool man , glad it worked for ya.... i like that tank! what year honda is that from? id like to find a tank for mine with the groves for my legs

Comment

Working...
                              X