gs1150e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1150e

I am thinking about buying a 1985 gs1150e i would like to know if there are any problems with this model i have never rode one but i have rode the 1100e it has 31,000 miles i am not going to race or anything just want a reliable machine

Re: gs1150e

Originally posted by flurbin
    I am thinking about buying a 1985 gs1150e i would like to know if there are any problems with this model i have never rode one but i have rode the 1100e it has 31,000 miles i am not going to race or anything just want a reliable machine
    Dynamite machine

Comment

I might be partial but after all the abuse my 1150 has had over the years I swear by the bike. I own a 1150e (1985) and an ES (1985) and highly recommend them.............skip

Comment

Maybe I'm too much a critic, but the vibration of the 1150's is worse than any other GS I've ever ridden. I own 2 of them, one vibrates bad, & the other is worse. Other than that, I love the bikes. Only mechanical glitch is a clutch hub could be stronger. Never seen one give trouble under normal use, but constant abuse can cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          Maybe I'm too much a critic, but the vibration of the 1150's is worse than any other GS I've ever ridden. I own 2 of them, one vibrates bad, & the other is worse. Other than that, I love the bikes. Only mechanical glitch is a clutch hub could be stronger. Never seen one give trouble under normal use, but constant abuse can cause problems.
          I have heard that before but I have never had a problem with vibration. I have had a small buzz in the handlebars and by using foam grips and handlebar weights it is not an issue. I have had my crank balanced and blueprinted so that might contribute to the lack of vibration........................skip

Comment

Yes..get it!

I had a 79 1000 standard (N? model).
            Now I have a 84 1150ES model(Faired type) and the engine vibration is a common theme, more so than any other type.
            There has been several suspect causes that has been talked about round and round in this forum.(Look it up here by navigating thru this site!).
            Your choice of the unfaired version is debatablely the best version of the 1150s'.
            I'm under the impression if you were to follow and 'correct' the suspect causes the vibration will be more subdued...but still there.
            Mine was an ex dragracer (safety wired thruout) that I resurrected from an early grave.
            All the good things that you appreciated in your old ride are still there in the 1150.
            Rick.........

Comment

Just something to think about, it does sit different than the 1100E. You lean over more, more like the crochet rockets of today. So to me it's less of a relaxed ride (but than it is an 1150 after all :twisted: ). I haven't had mine that long, so part of this is getting used to something different.

Comment

Riding position

Originally posted by pjackson
                Just something to think about, it does sit different than the 1100E. You lean over more, more like the crochet rockets of today. So to me it's less of a relaxed ride (but than it is an 1150 after all :twisted: ). I haven't had mine that long, so part of this is getting used to something different.
                Agreed.....I did'nt take into cosideration this change....however once I got my old 1000 many moons ago one of the first things I did was to put a K&N superbike "flat" bar on it.
                I suppose it matters how Mr Flurbins bike is configured....huh?
                Rick........

Comment

1150e

the bike is still stock thanks for all the replies

flurbin

Comment

gs1150e 1985

are parts still readily available for this bike from suzuki

Comment

I thinh flurbin is looking at an E model wich has an upright seating position. The ES has you more bent over like the crotch rocket. I have both of these bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
                        I thinh flurbin is looking at an E model wich has an upright seating position. The ES has you more bent over like the crotch rocket. I have both of these bikes.
                        Interesting, I thought the bars were the same on both.

Anybody want to trade an E for an ES?

Comment

1150 "E" bars, good for just riding. 1150 "ES" bars good for extreme hot rodding. Twenty years ago I would have had the "ES" bars. Today, the "E" bars work a lot better. Very comfortable

Comment

Re: gs1150e 1985

Originally posted by flurbin
                            are parts still readily available for this bike from suzuki
                            Yeah parts are still available of those things that get changed I.E., pads,chains,coils,ignition modules,of course tires,master cylinders...........but some things like sidecovers,bar assemblies,gas-tanks,rear lamp assy.headlamp assy.'correct' turnsignals,rims, etc. seem to be harder to find and expensive.
                            My factory service manual was $50 and rather on the small/thin side(but very complete).
                            Rick.........

Comment

I really like my ES. I think the handle bars are still more "standard" than "crotchrocket" though. I would almost like some lower style clip-ons. The ES riding position seems to keep me a little too straight up into the wind, maybe it's just that i'm a little lankier than the average person (6' 2").

Comment

Working...
                              X