Headlight Modulator On Gs Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Modulator On Gs Motorcycles

I did complete a search on headlight modulators, but my question was not included in the thread.

I have a 1983 GS850G that I just rebuilt. Everything on the bike is working perfectly, including the electrical system (all original). A couple of ex-riders are trying to convince me to add a headlight modulator on my motorcycle, but I have a concern and a question:

I have read quite a bit on this board, and have heard many negative comments on GS electrical systems. Because of this, I don't want to add anything that will negatively effect the electrical system. Does anyone on this board have experience (good or bad) with adding a headlight modulator to a GS motorcycle?

As a motorcycle rider, what are your thoughts/experience with headlight modulators overall? In the another thread some said they hated them, others said they are invaluable. Please let me know what you think!

Personally, I would not monkey with it. If it is not broken, do not try to fix it.

Comment

I put a headlight modulator in my 81 yamaha xs650. It worked pretty good, and did'nt have any problems with it. It gave the same effect as if the headlight was bouncing up and down.

Comment

I like the idea.

The ones I've seen cause the HI and Lo beams to alternate. I can't see how that would cause a problem. The '83 has a stonger electrical system than, say, the '79 model (to pick just one), so I think you've got one of the better bikes to try it on.

Hopefully, some of the electrical gurus on this board will weigh in on this.

If you install one, please tell us which one and how well it worked.

Tomcat

Comment

I have a headlight modulator on my GK and it works great. No adverse effect on any electrics or charging system. Headlight life is the same as always.

Comment

A headlight modulator won't harm the electrical system. I had one on my bike, but it annoyed me and I removed it. My headlight was much brighter without it. I prefer always on bright lights, and cycle the dimmer switch from low/high/low when I see a vehicle that might not see me or could turn in front of me.

Comment

Me, too!

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              Personally, I would not monkey with it. If it is not broken, do not try to fix it.
              Ditto!!:-|
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Have had one on the 850 for about 2 years, now, with no apparent problems. Have not yet changed a headlight bulb, so I don't know if it affects the life. I know that it did NOT affect the life in my previous bikes that had them.

Quote from Boondocks:
                "I prefer always on bright lights, and cycle the dimmer switch from low/high/low when I see a vehicle that might not see me or could turn in front of me."

I like that philosophy, and I try to notice everything around me, but some people just insist on doing things without me seeing them. It is for those people that I have the modulator going, because I can not seem to find every threat to my safety.

The unit that I found that works in the headlight bucket is the Kisan PathBlazer. It is short enough to fit on the back of the bulb in place of the usual plug. There are extension wires that move the plug to where there is room in the bucket. It's not exactly cheap, but I feel that my life, and my wife's, are worth it.

Please also note that using the modulator is an active part of your ride. Please do not just turn it on and ride. It can become rather annoying to the driver ahead of you at the traffic light. If you happen to be caught in a traffic pattern on the freeway and will be following the same car for a while at a close distance, turn it off. I turn mine off when approaching 4-way stops in the country. I don't want any of the cross traffic to think that I am an emergency vehicle and will be blasting through the intersection. I tend to treat mine like it has sensors that turn it off if a car is less than 50 yard ahead of me or I am going less than 20 mph.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

By the way, we have the Kisan modulator on my wife's 850, I have a different model Kisan on my Wing, my son has yet a different model Kisan on his Venture Royale.

On the back end, I have the Kisan TailBlazer that only modulates the LEDs in the spoiler, my wife has HyperLites on her 850 and my son has a universal Kisan modulator on his trunk lights.

Yes, we like to make sure we are SEEN. \\/

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I'm still undecided, but I like the idea of having one that fits in the light bucket if I get one. Just like most riders, I've had people pull out in front of me as if I weren't there. Although I try and treat every driver like as if they don't see me and ensure I make eye contact, I'd like to do whatever I can to increase my safety odds.

You mentioned you turn the modulator on or off depending on the situation. Do you have it linked to your high-beam switch, or is it a separate switch?

Thank you!

Comment

The Kisan units are controlled by using the high beam. By Federal Law, there is also a photocell in the circuit to ensure that it only operates in sufficient daylight. That means that it will not modulate when going under a wide bridge (like going under the interstate highway) or a tunnel, as well as not working at night. Even under direct street lights at night, it will not work.

Some units, like the one on my Wing, have adjustable sensitivity, but the one on my wife's 850 does not. This is not a problem, the normal sensitivity level is fine. The reason we have her particular model is detailed in the post above. Basically, it's short enough to fit inside the bucket.

I think that if you were to put a run-time meter on my modulator, you would find that it is only on about half the time that the bike is running. Some of that is due to running at night, but most of it is due to courtesy.

And...even though I have the modulators, I do not depend on them. I still follow two basic rules:
                      1. I am invisible. Because of that, people will pull out in front of me because they don't see me.
                      2. There are a few privileged ones that can see me, but they are probably aiming at me.

Last edited by Steve; 04-19-2007, 12:12 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Quote from Boondocks:
                        "I prefer always on bright lights, and cycle the dimmer switch from low/high/low when I see a vehicle that might not see me or could turn in front of me."

This M.O. has always bothered me a little. You are trying to make sure the other guy sees you. But what if he takes your signals as his OK to pull out or turn in front of you? Might ruin your day. I think you've gotta be careful with this one!

I think the modulator is the better idea.

Thanks again to all for the detailed info.

Tomcat

Comment

Try the modulator. You'll like it. It's nice when people in cages move out of the way to let you pass them. Not only that, but people will see you.

It's funny how sometimes people tell me at a stop, "Hey, your lights are blinking!"

"Yes, I know. You noticed that, didn't you"?

Which is the whole idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat24551 View Post
                            Quote from Boondocks:

This M.O. has always bothered me a little. You are trying to make sure the other guy sees you. But what if he takes your signals as his OK to pull out or turn in front of you? Might ruin your day. I think you've gotta be careful with this one!

I think the modulator is the better idea.

Thanks again to all for the detailed info.

Tomcat
                            I disagree. The whole idea is get the other guy's attention. When he sees you he can see the distance and estimate your closing speed. Anyone taking an attention getting headlight cycling as an invitation to pull out in front of you would be deranged. "OK, since your lights flash and I see you, it's OK to turn in front of you and kill you." There is no answer for this type of driver. What if he takes your modulator as his OK to pull out or turn in front of you?

The risk if far higher if the headlight is not cycled. Although a motorcycle should be seen by an aware driver, a careless one may focus only on those larger vehicles that present a danger. A motorcycle may not perceived as a threat because of its size. An unaware driver may not consciously acknowledge the presence or right of way of an unthreatening vehicle, but if you can break through the inattention by flashing the lights it will make the "I didn't see him" excuse harder to apply.

I've been riding for 51 years and am well aware of riding hazards. This method has worked well for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X