not sure where to from here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not sure where to from here!

my bike finaly starts up and runs , but when i get out on the road and ride about 1mile seems to wana crap out when cruising, but when i really get on it its fine. very powerfull and fast (wee!)

just seems to run like crap in 4th and 5th gear and uphill

It sounds like you might be running too rich. Your fuel floats might be set too high.
    Also, it's possible your bike is starving due to a plugged fuel filter or fuel cap that is not venting properly.

When you're cruising, and the bike starts to try to cut out, pull the clutch, kill the engine with the switch, and coast to a stop. Then check the plugs right there on the side of the road. If you don't know how to diagnose based on what you see, take photos and post them for others to tell you what they see.

Good Luck :-D
    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2007, 01:25 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

It helps to give as much info as you can What work has been done so far?? What do the plugs look like ? Check the petcock operation.

Comment

Have you cleaned the carbs recently? If you have a flat spot in the middle of the throttle I would check that the sliders are working smooth, but you may be better off just going through the carbs and carefully cleaning every passage and jet with carb cleaner and a very fine wire tip.

Comment

Originally posted by dcn32459 View Post
          my bike finaly starts up and runs , but when i get out on the road and ride about 1mile seems to wana crap out when cruising, but when i really get on it its fine. very powerfull and fast (wee!)

just seems to run like crap in 4th and 5th gear and uphill
          Sounds lean to me...If, when you hit WOT and it pulls well, and then tapers of to a stumble when cruising, my bet is lean. Have you set the valves?

Comment

all i have really done to the bike so far is new intake boots and gaskets , cleaned the carbs and put on new float bowl gaskets. added new fuel line and vacumme line. cleaned gas tank.

i still need new boots on my airbox. and id like to get new plugs , points ect. and i know i have a bad head gasket that leaks a little into #2 cyl.. but not bad enough yet to cause a big problem. just a lite amount of smoke from the exhaust. after having to rig my airbox to stay in place it does cruise fine now. seems to have givin the bike the opposite effect, now it wants to cruise and doesnt wana go fast.

soooooo.. ill try getting new boots for the airbox, new plugs ect. and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
            X