The quest for more braking power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The quest for more braking power

I have an '83 1100G and I want better braking power. I've installed hi-perf pads and braided lines but I'm still not impressed. I've been wondering what else I can do to improve things. Has anyone tried other master cylinders or calipers? If so, which ones work best?
    I can't see going through the expense of swapping front ends if I can help it. Thanks for any realistic ideas.

what type of pads did you install? I have gotten good results with ceramic pads. a master cylinder with a smaller piston would allow you to develop higher line pressure, but if you go with to small a master cylinder there may be not enough lever travel.

Comment

I've got an '83 GS750ESF and it has the front end off of an '85 GS1150. What a difference that made in the braking, and the fork brace built into the fender is nice too. You might get away with just using the 1150 calipers. I'm not sure how much different they are from the 1100's. Ken

Comment

FF, I believe I put HH pads on it. They were the most aggressive I could find.
        Kenny, Thanks for the tip. Thats just what I wanted to hear. Now it comes down to finding out if the 1150 calipers will fit on my fork legs. I really dont want to swap front ends if I can avoid it.
        Anybody know if the 1150 calipers will fit? Or any other even better calipers?
        Thanks again, one and all.

Comment

I have a better idea. go to a Castrol distributer and order a bottle of Castrol SRF brake fluid. It is not cheap, you may be looking at about $60-$70 for a litre but it makes a HUGE difference in brake feel and a small difference in power. It is the same stuff as used in F1 cars, and has saved me the cost of braided lines on my 1150 and my Kat 1100.
          Dink

Comment

Please don't get me wrong because I really appreciate you taking the time to post your suggestion but I find it hard to believe that a difference in brake fluid can greatly improve stopping power. I use DOT 5 silicone in all my vehicles but IMHO brake fluid is brake fluid when it comes to transmitting force through a line or cylinder. Does anyone else want to offer an opinion about this matter?

Comment

i have a master cylinder from a 97 kat 600 with steel lines stock calipers with jc whitne pads on my 78 750, the thing stops!

Comment

I agree with Rick. If you have steel braided lines, you should have a world of difference. When I put them on my 79 GS1000, it completely eliminated the sponginess. You may have a bubble of air still trapped in the system, so I would suggest you try a rebleed. It is possible that one bubble of air is caught at the junction of the master cylinder and the brake line, and it may rise back up between bleeds (if you're not using a power bleeder).

Comment

my brakes were spongy before the steel lines and that was with the kat master cylinder, my front doewsnt lock up but the brakes work so good if i really pull hard on the lever the front end dives to much, i might make 1 inch spacers to what good they will do...pvc pipe ok to use?

Comment

Rick,
                    Use couplings for 3/4 id PVC pipe. It is heavier guage than the pipe itself. Make sure if the spring doesn't already have a washer on top of it to use a fender washer between the spring and the spacer.

The best thing to do is to check your sag. Get the front end fully extended then take a measurement below the bottom triple clamp to the top on the lower tube. Then measure again with the bike on the ground with your weight in the seat. When you get about 1" of sag you'll be a bit on the stiff side. You want to set the rear up the same way.

Comment

I'm looking for steel briaded brake lines at the moment - any aussies got any suggestions of where to find them in Australia?

I have a 1982 GS550MZ Katana, it goes, it turns, it stops (slooooooowly) with ages old brake lines so thought to swap them - like the sound of the steel braided lines.

CJ

Comment

Originally posted by ColinJ
                        I'm looking for steel briaded brake lines at the moment - any aussies got any suggestions of where to find them in Australia?

I have a 1982 GS550MZ Katana, it goes, it turns, it stops (slooooooowly) with ages old brake lines so thought to swap them - like the sound of the steel braided lines.

CJ
                        Try these guys:

Kim

Comment

Working...
                        X