Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same old carb problem

81 GS850X from usa.
    First the problem --is miss-fireing from 2-4k rpm when riding it above 4k its like a rocket , its like a peaking 2stroke engine. At idle the pilot screws don't make any difference above 3.5 turns which is were I have them to get the bike to start and run some carbs are at 4 turns . the sync of all 4 is good and the vac levels are high enough . I had 4 42.5 pilot jets so I replace the std. 40 jets and it runs a bit better . I can't find what the problem is as the engine ran perfect 6 months ago when the settings were 2.5 to 3 turns . I have checked everything , the valve clearances , compression is hi , no air leaks , the ignition is Dyna S which is very accurate and I have even checked that the spark is there for every pulse . but I remember a car I had had this exact problem and it was the coil .Though the color tune plug I can see the spark but there is no adjustment with the pilot screws.
    any thoughts anyone ?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2007, 04:43 PM. Reason: link to previous question http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=107046

Which carbs are on the bike?

Comment

'81 model should have the VMs, right?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the carbs are the Bs ones CV type. I have cleaned them throughally(bad spelling) I noticed today that exhaust pipe on 2 and 3 cylinders are both cool at idle , the mixture is so lean that they don't produce power , used color tune plug and turned pilot screw out to 5 turns it made no difference. exchanged the coils but that made no difference either. I can see the spark in the plug. I don't know were to go from here .

Comment

Being that it is cyl 2&3 most likley rules out the coils, You Still have a carb problem
          need to clean them again

Comment

Working...
          X