79 GS1000 engine sprocket (630-15T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy all....Newly registered on the site though I've checked it out now for a few years. Just getting ready to put a new 15T 630 driving sprocket on and noted that the last one I put on (same as in my service manual) has a pair of rubber isolator rings and plates secured through the sprocket with 3 flat head machine screws. The replacement OEM I just received (p/n 27511-45000) is just plain and would not account for the outer side plate under the nut, if installed. Is this p/n correct? Local SUZUKI dealer looked it up on his system but there was no picture etc. I'm tempted to merely bush the outside and install the lockplate and nut but thought I'd see what anyone else might have done.

Yeah some of them don't come with those bushings anymore. I think most people just shim them.

Comment

In your case, re-use the outer plates/dampers. Use blue loc-tite on the 3 bolts and I suggest a new lock plate and bend it down in two places. I believe correct torque for your front sprocket is about 70 ft/lb.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was lucky. The replacement sprocket I bought for my 1100 (Sunstar part #60915) incorporated a raised boss (that faces outward from the motor). It fits perfectly.

I thought I read here somewhere that the damper plates do not function as spacers, and are not needed. I guess that's not true in your case. Lot of confusion as well as information on the subject here; http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...star+sprockets

Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2007, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. Denydog's solution looks like the best idea...incorporating a wider female spline as well! The replacement I mentioned is plain with no holes in it. For anyone contemplating drilling this to match 3 holes (the original OEM actually had 6), you won't likely get far. The gear is hard enough that a top grade titanium coated bit wouldn't even mark it

My solution was to merely reuse the outer plate and rubber as a shim. Time will tell.

Comment

That extra shim and rubber is to make the chain quieter!!!!!!!!?????

Usually you just get a large peice of tube as a shim in replacement.

I like DD's sprocket.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
            1983 GS(X)1100ESD
            2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Working...
            X