Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Question

Hi all,
    I recently picked up an '83 GS1150-ES, this was about a month ago. The bike had been sitting around since about 94 or so, though I was told that it had been up and running as recently as 2-3yrs ago. So just to see what's up I put in a new charged battery and hit the start button... nada! All the lights light up as far as the oil, lights, neutral, headlights and brake lights. So it seems that the power is ok. BTW, i pulled the starter button off and cleaned it and put it back together again ... no-joy! Any ideas on what to check next?

TIA
    Raul
    ja8t@yahoo.com

Re: Newbie Question

Did you pull in the clutch when you tried to start it? There is a lock out switch underneath he clutch lever and if the clutch is not pulled in, the starter circuit is not functional (even if neutral). The two wires from the lockout switch run into the headlight shell where they plug into a square connector. You can jump the connection for test purposes and that will drop the lockout switch out of the loop.

Earl

Originally posted by ja8t
    Hi all,
    I recently picked up an '83 GS1150-ES, this was about a month ago. The bike had been sitting around since about 94 or so, though I was told that it had been up and running as recently as 2-3yrs ago. So just to see what's up I put in a new charged battery and hit the start button... nada! All the lights light up as far as the oil, lights, neutral, headlights and brake lights. So it seems that the power is ok. BTW, i pulled the starter button off and cleaned it and put it back together again ... no-joy! Any ideas on what to check next?

TIA
    Raul
    ja8t@yahoo.com
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

D'oh... Like the sign say's "Newbie" Thanks Earl, i'll give that a shot first thing.

Raul

Comment

Don't worry Raul....

It reminds me of my first bike, a GT380, back in 78. The first time I tried to start it (it had a kick starter only!), the engine kill switch was set to "off". After several minutes trying to get the engine running, another biker helped me out....

Comment

As JoJo just said, be sure and turn the kill switch to the on position. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jojo
          Don't worry Raul....

It reminds me of my first bike, a GT380, back in 78. The first time I tried to start it (it had a kick starter only!), the engine kill switch was set to "off". After several minutes trying to get the engine running, another biker helped me out....
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hahahaha.... uhm... got that far, that little gremlin has bit me more times than i care to mention. I tore that apart to make sure it hadn't disconnected on me from the inside.

Comment

Working...
            X