Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic vs. Traditional Oil For 1978 GS100E

Hell,

Just trying to get back on the road after a wreck in '91 that put me on dissability for 6 years. I bought a 1978 GS1000E with 24K on it and NO oil cooler in Decemebr of 2006. Just got it running right and it's almost road ready. My Clymer Manual suggests traditional 10W40 and I was going to use Castrol's GTX 10W40 but I've heard "dino" oil may not be the best way to go.

I'm not a mechanic or motorhead - just a rider in need of some good, sound advice. Would a synthetic oil be better in an old dinosaur like a 1978 GS1000E or should I stick to the traditional 10W40 dino oil?

I hoe to ride year round. Any suggestions on particular types of oil and viscosity - even general info on the topic would be extremely helpful?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Dave R

Just trying to get back on the road after a wreck in '91 that put me on dissability for 6 years.
    I went through a similier experience (but not caused by a wreck). Glad your making it back.

And, here we go again. :-D Usually when the "what kind of oil" question is asked (about every month or two), about 40% of the people say that any name brand oil that is not specified as "Energy Conserving" is fine. About 20% say to use any motorcycle specific oil, and about 40% say synthetic is best.

You can read all about it here; http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&highlight=oil

And here; http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&highlight=oil
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2007, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I run run Mobil 10W-40 MXT4 (this was the old designation) motorcycle oil in my 850. I ran Amsoil of the same weight in my 77 GS550. I thought the synthetic allowed the engine to run cooler. The engine was not as noisy and shifted much smoother. I have never had any clutch slippage using synthetic and neither bike leaked when I made the switch from dino to synthetic. I am currently looking at the Lucas synthetic for my 850. I keep hearing more and more about Lucas and have had positive results using their products in my truck.

Brandon

Comment

Currently using amsoil synthetic on my 78 750. No problems (at least caused by the oil, haha).

Comment

I am one that prefers synthetic (Rotella - blue jug), but the 850 either leaks a little or burns a little, and it's too hard to find quarts of Rotella while traveling, so I will either be using Castrol 10w-40 or 20w-50 on the next change.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ohh, and welcome to the GSR.

Up here in Canada, a lot of people use Synthetic because it holds it's viscosity better at lower temperatures, though I'm pretty sure you won't be running into our weather.

If you change your oil regularly (3000 miles) dino oil should be good enough. Some people use synthetic because you can go further between oil changes (in theory) without changing your oil as the polymers in the oil don't break down as easily. I've hear a rumor about amsoil guaranteeing their stuff for 40,000 kms if you use their oil filter.

Comment

I used to run Castrol GTX 10-40 in my bike but after switching to Mobil 1, I haven't looked back. I use Mobil 1's 15-50 in my 750 and it shifts so much better than with conventional oil, especially before it is fully warm. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
              X