Coils firing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils firing order

Hi, My son took apart his 82 650. Valve cover oil leak, showed him how to make a new gasket. I came after they took it apart. He draws a diagram on how to put the wires back on to the spark plugs. His 6 year old daughter saw it & used a crayon to write on it. kids eh? Didn't tag anything. On the wires. I see a 1/4 ect. Younger son guessed & wrong on it to replace the spark plug wires. 2 cyls, #1 & 3, cold sitting on the bike, looking forward. Left to right. Cold to the touch. Wheres # 1? Left to right? How do the wires from the coils go? I'm at a loss helping him out. Dave
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2007, 02:22 PM.

Originally posted by Locodave View Post
    Hi, My son took apart his 82 650. Valve cover oil leak, showed him how to make a new gasket. I came after they took it apart. He draws a diagram on how to put the wires back on to the spark plugs. His 6 year old daughter saw it & used a crayon to write on it. kids eh? Didn't tag anything. On the wires. I see a 1/4 ect. Younger son guessed & wrong on it to replace the spark plug wires. 2 cyls, #1 & 3, cold sitting on the bike, looking forward. Left to right. Cold to the touch. Wheres # 1? Left to right? How do the wires from the coils go? I'm at a loss helping him out. Dave
    The left coil fires cylinders #1 and #4 (outside cylinders), the right coil fires #2 and #3 (inside cylinders). #1 is to the left.

The coils don't have a "firing order" like a car. Both plugs attached to the coil are firing simultaneously, its just that one cylinder is on the power stroke, the other on the exhaust stroke. As long as #1-#4 and #2-#3 are hooked up to the same coil you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Here is my notes from 850G relative to having the igntition wiring apart (but I think the color code is the same). My schematic has got greasy finger prints on it, but no kids crayon coloring.

#1 is left when sitting on bike.

Lets see,
      Left coil has the white wire (in its connector) from the ignitor, and service the 1&4 (outside) cyclinders and have the shorter plug caps.
      Right coil has the yel/blk wire (in its connector) from the ignitor, and service the 2&3 (inside) cyclinders and have the longer plug caps.

I think in 82 and later the connectors from the ignitor to the coils were keyed such that cant be plugged into the wrong coil. SO your bigger concern is the spark plug wires. And if they still have the stock plug caps, or if they were replaced with similar caps: THe easy way to keep them staright is that the shorter plugs go on the outside cyclinders (if you put longer ones there your knee could hit it) and the long ones go on the inside cyclinders(where is a longer reach).

As Mark stated before, the firing order really isnt something that needs to be discussed.
      Just that, for example: the coil that is on the white wire from the ignitor, needs to have its spark plug wires go to the outside cyclinders #1 & #4. Doesnt matter which one of the two goes to either #1 or #4 other than one maybe longer than the other so it will reach one way better than it will reach the other way, as Mark stated both plugs from the same coil both fire at the same time, twice as often as either one needs to, but that way dont need a distributer.

Dont forget to enjoy those kids. Maybe take some time to color with them.

PS As I have stated before: I had an 82 650G for 20+ years. Great bike. Often wondered where it went
      <<fishing for further description of the 650G there>>
      Last edited by Redman; 04-22-2007, 03:23 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi, Thank you soo much!! long & short. I bought this bke a few years ago. Great bike. Older son wanted me to co-sign for a used crotch rocket to keep up with his younger brothers 2001 Yamahe R6. Older son is a newbe. He buys a used rocket, money pit. Also he didn't know how nice it its to ride a street bike. Back dosen't hurt or the neck. eh? I ran across this one from a friend. 26,00 miles on it. Paid $350,00 for it, got new tires, re-painted it. Friend has a body shop. Great repaint work. I did the grunt work, kid picks out grey for the color. Well, I'd a picked out a diffrent color. By my thinking. Gonna be his eventually. Older GS's are strong engines. Thought, new-be. He dosen't know about buying a used rocket & why they want to sell one. Prob, child. Thought this might be what he needs. I've been riding bikes for over 30 years. I'll buy it, let him use it. He loves the bike. Gonna someday soon, just give him the title. His toy. I'll look for another. I want a larger engine. Dave
        Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Hi, I'ved owned thru the years. Honda 450, Kawasiki 500 2 stroke, 750 Honda. And the 650 GS. I've ridden a 750 BMW, a nice bike, sister has an Evolution big boar Harly soft tail. I do like floar boards. All should have them. I think the GS's are underrated. How many Hondas, Kows, Yamaha, from the 80's are still going down the highway? Still giving pleasure to their owners? The 650 keeps up on the strait aways if the fellow riders kick it, but he has to push it. Curves, no contest. Older son just called me back on the phone. What you said, he changed. Said it's working ok now. I can't thank you enough on info you have given me to pass on to him. Old dad. 53 years old. Trying to make the son happy. Might remember me thru life, as trying to help him, with others help. Dave

Comment

GS's are a fun hobby if you like bikes and working on them yourself.

By the way, my kid is bugging me for "Metallica" tickets. Got any leads?

Comment

Working...
            X