Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G No gas getting to carbs?

Hey I'm new, be kind!
    I took my bike apart this winter to paint it (it came out sweet). But I put it all back together today, and it wont start. I took out the 2 outside spark plugs and poured some gas into them and it started right up and ran for 1-2 minutes. But then it died. When I unhooked the gas line from the petcock and put it in prime, gas ran out. I noticed when it was running, that no gas was going from the petcock to the carbs. So when the gas expired from the "manual prime", it just died. I'm confused as to why gas isnt flowing from the petcock to the carbs? Someone help me! Thanks a lot, I love this site already! I'm (almost) positive I rehooked everything back right.
    Blaise

Check to make sure that the vacuum line from #2 carb to the back of your gas valve is hooked up and not cracked at the fittings. If it is, remove the vacuum line on the carb and suck on it, you should hear the diaphragm function, if you can't see if you are getting as to the line while sucking on the vacuum line. Takes about 60 seconds, for this test.
    Vince
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

just like vince said it's the vaccum line. i had the same prob. with mine after putting it back together. turns out i had the wrong line hooked up to the petcock.it took all three vent lines from the top of the coarbs. and cranked over the bike while putting my finger over top of each hose one at a time untill i found the one that had vaccum. hook it up to the line on the petcock and off rifing you go.\\/ \\/

Comment

I just fixed one last week on a 550 that had exactly those symptoms. What I found was that the plunger that closes the gas in the petcock was stuck. Removed cover over the diaphragm, tried to remove the diaphragm. It came out rather hard, but seemed to be intact. Put it all back together, still would not work. Took it apart again, found that the o-ring that is supposed to be on the plunger was stuck to the body of the petcock. Pried it out of there, put it back on the plunger, put it all back together. Now it works as it should. :-D

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X