Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki GS 750 Shaft drive oil change/levels ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS 750 Shaft drive oil change/levels ?

Hello, I have just bought a............

Suzuki GS750G Shaft Drive 1982 Japan only, imported into UK in 1998.
    basically all GS850G bits except for the engine cc size

OK, I know I need hypoid SAE 90 oil, It says on the engine and rear shaft housing.

How do you empty the front shaft drive gear compartment and what level do I fill it to ? Do you remove the gearchange from the shaft and take off the cover plate to get to a drain bolt ?
    And............
    What level do you fill the rear shaft drive housing to ? (the drain bolt is clear to see at this end)

Cheers, Jon.

OK, I know I need hypoid SAE 90 oil, It says on the engine and rear shaft housing.
    If you can't find a straight 90w hypoid oil, it's OK to use a multi-weight. What I have sitting on my shelf right now is a can of 80w-90. You might also find 85w-90 or something else similar. Anything near 90w will do, as long as it is marked hypoid or gear oil.

How do you empty the front shaft drive gear compartment and what level do I fill it to ? Do you remove the gearchange from the shaft and take off the cover plate to get to a drain bolt ?
    Yes. To check the secondary drive oil, it is not necessary to remove any covers. My book says to open the fill opening (directly behind the starter cover), then open the oil level screw. The oil level screw is at the back corner of the engine, between the gearshift cover and the driveshaft boot. The one on my 850 is a 12mm hex-head, with a Phillips drive in the middle. To drain the oil, you need to remove the gearshift lever and cover to access the drain bolt. My manual calls for 11.5-13.5 oz. (340-400 ml.) of oil for the secondary drive. Whatever the amount, the book says it should barely be coming out the level check hole.

And............
    What level do you fill the rear shaft drive housing to ? (the drain bolt is clear to see at this end)
    The drain bolt is at the bottom, obviously, and the fill bolt is at the back. Manual calls for 9.5-11.2 oz. (280-330 ml.). Again, it should be at the bottom of the fill (level check) hole.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's a GS850 engine with the gearshift lever and gearshift cover removed and the drain, fill, and level bolts highlighted. You do not need to remove the alternator cover -- this is just an old engine I used to take a picture.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Great picture, Brian. \\/

I'd say that between my book and your picture, he will have NO problem.8-[
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X