Pilot Screw Removal: Y/N?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Screw Removal: Y/N?

Hello, all. I am going through the rite of passage known as Rebuilding The Carburetors. Although I bought carb rebuild kits, the old parts are cleaning up well in Berryman's. However, I have run into a problem on my #2 carb. The PO (I promise it wasn't me) stripped out the slot for the pilot screw. By searching previous posts, it seems very risky to drill this part out, especially since it in non-adjustable. Having soaked the small parts and the carb body separately in Berryman's carb dip, should I still try to work the pilot jet out? Other factors to consider:

* 1982 GS750T with the round slide Mikuni's
    * Sat up for 3 years
    * Did crank and run last Fall, but fuel was pouring from one of the bowls
    * thus far, the rubber plugs over the pilot screws are all missing
    * all small parts appear to be brass. PO was running an unbaffled V & H 4-into 1 pipe

I am hoping that a thorough dip and compressed air will suffice, but will do what those with more knowledge than my dumb ass say.

Thanks in advance for the help. This community rocks!

You'll never no until you try...I'd do the best you can to get it out without damaging the threads and worse case scenario, you'll be looking for another car body. My guess is that the #2 was running rich as a result of a failed petcock and that is why it was messed with. You did mention that you had a fuel issue...just a guess but would say it was the #2 carb that was causing you problems. The vacuume port to activate the petcock is on that carb and if the diaphragm has failed, it will flood just as you've described. Check it out.

Comment

If you soaked the carb body in Berryman's with the screw installed, there is a good chance you have damaged the o-ring around that screw. (That might also be why you are having a hard time getting it out.) Best to try to remove it to change the o-ring.

To help trying to get the screw out, either get a NEW screwdriver or grind a fresh tip on one that you already have. The sharp corners of a fresh tip will do wonders.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are you referring to the pilot jet or the idle adjustment screw. The jet is in the float bowl under a rubber cap and the screw is on the intake side on top of the carbs.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had no problems using a #1 bolt extractor to remove a stuck pilot jet (the small one in the bowl). I was very careful when drilling the hole for the extractor not to drill through the small jet (used a drill press, I also had a vacuume on and was sucking away the brass chips). I forget what sized drill bit I ended up with, but start small and increase until the extractor fits in the hole.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I was referring to the pilot jet in the bowl that is supposed to be underneath a rubber cap. As recommended, a #1 screw extractor did the trick. Again, I appreciate everyone's assistance.

Comment

Working...
            X