Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC Issues

1981 gs550L

I am having trouble with my front MC leaking when I have the bike on the side stand. I recently put a drag bar on the bike, so now the MC is at an angle such that the fluid level is really high (to the point of leaking) when on the side stand and a little too low when upright.

Do I just need to rebuild the thing to keep it from leaking out the top, or is it better to get a different one?

Which MC's would you reccommend? Space is very tight with the current assembly.

I have never seen one quite that sensitive to angle. Have you modified anything that would change the mounting angle? I just can't picture in my mind how it would be leaking when leaned over and "dry" when vertical.

If it's leaking when leaned over, the gasket is not sealing correctly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a straight drag bar on the bike, so I am assuming it has to do with that. To get the brake lever/MC assembly to fit correctly I shifted the hose link, but that's it. Otherwise it hits my guages. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

Comment

Oh, I am certian as well that the lid is not sealing properly. I have been getting some water in there as evidenced by a lovely reddish brown color instead of a nice clear brake fluid color.

But will a rebuild take care of that or do I need a new/different MC?

Comment

Working...
        X