Engine Rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Rebuild?

Alright, im new to posting on this site since i can usually find what im looking for... but this time no luck. As of right now, i can't even get my 79 gs750 started. About a year ago i bought the bike and had the carbs rebuilt (after i sprayed carb cleaner into them, and messed them all up) and the engine was checked for any problems (ended up having a cracked valve.) All was well, she ran better than ever before, then i let her sit for 8 months... didn't drain any fluids or disconnect the battery. So now my battery is dead, (luckily i have a kick-starter) and she is running like sh*t. After i got her started, i made it about 1/4 mile down the road and she didn't want to go anymore. Whenever i turned the throttle, I lost almost all power, and she was making a weird blubbering kind of noise. Now she wont start at all. I checked the plugs and they were a dull black color, so i sanded of the carbon deposits, and put them back in the bike. Then i drained the float bowls and added some dry gas and octane boost into my gastank. But still nothing. Just today i pulled the carbs off and am planning on rebuilding them. My question is, since my plugs were turning black, im assuming the entire inside of my engine is black, so should i take the engine apart and clean it? If so what is the best way to do this and what parts should i be looking at possibly replacing?

You probably just let it sit too long... your carbs are gunked up again. All you should need to do is clean them. Buy some new orings for the carbs from www.cycleorings.com. Drain the old oil and put some fresh in there along with a new filter. You should be good to go. You don't need to take the engine apart.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

And don't forget a new battery. 8-[

The fact that you have a kick starter only means that you can start it without pushing a button. Since the battery is dead, most of the power from your 'alternator' is going to try to charge the battery. There will be nothing left over to run the ignition after the lights take their share, too.

When you get your new battery, they will probably tell you "it's ready to go". Put it on a charger, anyway. If you don't already have a charger/maintainer, get one. Wal-Mart has a Schumacher unit for less than $20. Make sure the package says charger/maintainer. There are manual chargers and automatic chargers, then there are charger/maintainers. The difference is that the maintainers can be left on all winter and will charge the battery then shut off, while monitoring voltage. If it drops below its threshold, it turns on again. The automatic chargers will drop down to a trickle charge, but even that is too much on a fully-charged battery, if it's left on there all winter.

The maintainer is also nice peace of mind for times when you might not be riding for a week or two. Leave the harness on the battery, plug it in when you come home from a ride, it will always be ready for the next ride. \\/

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the advice guys, ill let you know how things turn out...

Comment

Working...
        X