Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!

After three weeks of no riding,I'm still trying to fix my starter clutch. I cannot remove the nut holding the rotor on. Will this tool hold the rotor in place while I'm attaching an eighty foot pipe to the end of my ratchet? I tried making one from angle iron and bolts. The bolts broke as the angle iron was failing.(Slotted angle iron,not too thick.) I'm wondering if a blowtorch will just cut the damm thing off. I am VERYfrustrated. Any help appreciated. RJ

I took mine off a few weeks ago using an air impact driver. I didn't need to hold the rotor to get the nut off. Suzuki uses some very strong thread lock on the nut. You might try to heat the nut to loosen the thread lock.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Been there done that, had that problem, got a solution.
      What you need is a wrench that will hold the rotor while you turn the nut.
      Think oil filter wrench, only bigger. I went to Home Depot and bought one 8 foot 2 x 4, one 3 ft length of threaded 3/8" rod, four 3/8" flatwashers and four 3/8" hex nuts. Take a hacksaw and cut the 36" rod in half. Cut the 8 ft 2 x 4 in half into one length 48" and one length 18". Measure the outside diameter of the rotor. Lay the pieces of 2 x 4 wide side on the floor so that the ends are equal/even at one end. Lay the pieces parallel and 1" apart. Now draw a circle on both pieces that is centered on the space.
      Now, drill a hole through the 2" side on both pieces at a point that is 1" outside the diameter of the circle. Take a jugsaw and cut out the circle.
      Put the threaded rod through the drilled holes and put the nuts and washers on the four ends. What you have now is a big, wooden, circular clamp with a space in the middle that will allow for tightening and has jaws the same diameter as your rotor. tighten the nuts on the threaded rod to tighten the clamp on the rotor. The 4 ft "handle" will rest on the floor with the weight of the bike to hold it down. Cost should be less than $5. :-)

I just took a lookie at the ebay tool. I do not think it will work. I also think there is risk of damage to if you try to use something like that.

E.

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...QQcmdZViewItem

After three weeks of no riding,I'm still trying to fix my starter clutch. I cannot remove the nut holding the rotor on. Will this tool hold the rotor in place while I'm attaching an eighty foot pipe to the end of my ratchet? I tried making one from angle iron and bolts. The bolts broke as the angle iron was failing.(Slotted angle iron,not too thick.) I'm wondering if a blowtorch will just cut the damm thing off. I am VERYfrustrated. Any help appreciated. RJ
      Last edited by earlfor; 04-24-2007, 12:34 AM.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Made a rotor tool from a large 'C' spanner. Loosened the nut with an air impacter and then used a lot of heat and the special tool from Suzuki to get the rotor and starter clutch off the GS(X)1100ESD.

DONT USE A THREE LEGGED PULLER ON THE ROTOR. This will damage it.

That nut is torqued to between 65-72ft/lbs.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
        1983 GS(X)1100ESD
        2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Less than five seconds with the impact gun!(PB'laster may have helped. ) Now I need to remove the three broken bolts. Any recommendations on the BEST screw extractor? Also the best value? I used Ron's (Argonsagas) suggestion on the Rotorpuller(partsmanual.com I think) That went well. Also,should the springs be replaced? Thanks RJ

Comment

I'm DONE DONE DONE... and riding! What an easy repair. As soon as I got the right tools and parts it wasn't too bad. Thanks for the help guys. Without this site I probably wouldn't have attempted it. If someone uses the search feature and found this-Get an impact wrench and the rotor puller. I got the impact wrench at Harbor Freight and the rotor puller at partsmanual.com. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...starter+clutch has the links. Thanks Jrivera
            Last edited by omaharj; 05-05-2007, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X