1000G oil leak help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000G oil leak help please

I have this 1980 GS 1000G that leaks oil out like crazy. My friend said it looked like the head gasket was shot for sure. When I start it up I get a little cloud of smoke also. Me friend wanted me to come on here and ask if there is a something to look for or a common problem in this area. He said it could be something as simple as a little O ring or? Also he said get the book on it so he could see what it detailed. Any ideas guys? He was also woundering about the timing chain. He was hoping to get th job done without having to mess with it. THANKS!!!

Originally posted by Roadrash 1000 View Post
    I have this 1980 GS 1000G that leaks oil out like crazy. My friend said it looked like the head gasket was shot for sure. When I start it up I get a little cloud of smoke also. Me friend wanted me to come on here and ask if there is a something to look for or a common problem in this area. He said it could be something as simple as a little O ring or? Also he said get the book on it so he could see what it detailed. Any ideas guys? He was also woundering about the timing chain. He was hoping to get th job done without having to mess with it. THANKS!!!
    Where excatly is the oil leaking from? Around the head gasket? Where? Be sure your leak is coming from the head gasket and not the tach drive, or valve cover.

Blue smoke on start up is usually worn valve guides.

How many miles on the bike? How does it run?

There are some things you can try, like retorquing the head if you have a head gasket leak (even though it is often unsuccessful). If you need help with that, let us know and someone will help.

By the way its hard to fix these problems without "messing" with your bike.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2007, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Hey Mark, The oil is leaking out of the headgasket area in the front. In the middle of the 4 pipes is a bolt and that is where it drips and starts to smoke big so its hard to tell. The bike has 26,000 miles on it, some hard I'm guessing. Has some mods and has been sitting for 5 years. I took it out for a spin the first day I got it, knowing of the oil leak. On the way back from a 3-4 mile run It started blowing big smoke and loosing power. It always leaked but now its really leaking. It was a quart low when I got back. A couple of days later I took it out again. Runs the same but the oil is everywhere on the bike, pants shoes. I picked the bike up a few months ago knowing it needed some work in this area. My friend works on racing snowmobiles all the time. He's worked on a few bikes but needs to know if this is an ugly job or some what easy. He says he doesn't want to touch the chain and have to reset it. I'm no help, my job is to get the beer, ha ha.

Comment

One more thing. I but all new plugs in it. I checked the 2 end ones. The one on the right was fine, but the one on the left was all fouled up. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Does sure sound like a blown head gasket. I've got an 81 GS1000 GL that is leaking around that area on the left side (#1 cyl). The fact that the plug is all oil fouled means that it is an internal leak also(head gasket) as opposed to an external one(head cover gasket, camshaft rubber end plugs).

Get a clymer or haynes manual and have your friend get to it. If he works on sleds, it is really no problem working on this engine. The head can be pulled without pulling the engine and setting the cam chain is no big deal. Just follow the book. I've only worked on sleds and small engines up until last year, and i've been able to work on 3 GS's since. Good luck! BTW, I hate leaks, so my 81 will probably get a gasket job soon.

Comment

If its a blown head gasket, you will have to mess with the chain. Its also a virtual certainty, that you'll also have to pull the block as well and put in a new base gasket.

I'm in the middle of the job now....I'm no expert mechanic, but so far it hasn't been that bad. The difficulty is that once you pull the head its hard not to do any valve work that may be required and you might as well rehone and re-ring your cylinders at the very least. Stuff like that. So there can be some money involved.

Gasket removal, cleaning combustion chambers and pistons, is a hassel sometimes, and it can take a bit of time to get the surfaces prepared properly for your new gaskets. A rush job could be disaster.

A Vesrah gasket kit is probably the easiest way to go and its a good quality product. That will have all the gaskets, O-rings that you will need for the job.

Now would also be a good time to put in new intake manifold O-rings if that hasn't been done yet.

Its not that hard but it can get somewhat involved. If you go for it though, try not to cut too many corners. Good luck.

Comment

Ok guys thanks for all the help. I'll let him read this post and take it from there. I'll be back later with more questions. I hope he thinks my bike is worth the work.

Comment

Good job there Minnesota Dan. This guy is alot like you. Your post will give him the confidence to move foward.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrash 1000 View Post
                  Good job there Minnesota Dan. This guy is alot like you. Your post will give him the confidence to move foward.:-D
                  Thanks. I love all things mechanical. Old sleds are my other passion and they keep me busy. BTW , I see you are from Waconia, the Mecca of old sleds come January! I've been going to the show there for several years now.

Comment

Yes, the snowmoble show is a big one. I live on the Lake, 161 Lakeview Terrace Blvd. Stop on in next time and warm up. Hopefully I'll have this old GS going by then.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                      If its a blown head gasket, you will have to mess with the chain. Its also a virtual certainty, that you'll also have to pull the block as well and put in a new base gasket.

I'm in the middle of the job now....I'm no expert mechanic, but so far it hasn't been that bad. The difficulty is that once you pull the head its hard not to do any valve work that may be required and you might as well rehone and re-ring your cylinders at the very least. Stuff like that. So there can be some money involved.

Gasket removal, cleaning combustion chambers and pistons, is a hassel sometimes, and it can take a bit of time to get the surfaces prepared properly for your new gaskets. A rush job could be disaster.

A Vesrah gasket kit is probably the easiest way to go and its a good quality product. That will have all the gaskets, O-rings that you will need for the job.

Now would also be a good time to put in new intake manifold O-rings if that hasn't been done yet.

Its not that hard but it can get somewhat involved. If you go for it though, try not to cut too many corners. Good luck.
                      What are manifold o rings and where are thy located.I should be able to see them since my engine is apart.Ron B
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                        What are manifold o rings and where are thy located.I should be able to see them since my engine is apart.Ron B
                        Those are the O-rings between the intake manifold boots and the head.

Comment

Working...
                        X