choke cable on a 1983 GS850GLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke cable on a 1983 GS850GLD

This weekend while tearing down the top end of my 850, I had trouble getting the choke cable off the carbs.

The cable runs through a metal elbow bolted to the No. 2 carb. I couldn't pull the cable through the tube to remove it from the carb bank, so I removed the bolts from the top of the carb and took the entire bracket/elbow assembly off the carb. My question is, should I be able to remove the cable end from the tube, or does a new choke cable come with the elbow and its mounting bracket.

Just as a note. the elbow is just pressed into the mounting bracket. I tried to remove it, but it wouldn't budge at all.

I'm not sure if it's the same on your bike, but on mine (85 GS700ES) the cable fit thru that tube. It may be a bit of a tight fit, but should go thru. I'm taking off the carb rack on an 80 GS850GL tonight, so if I find out differently I'll let you know. Good luck

Comment

I was looking at a choke cable, for my 850, made by motion pro. It included only the cable. As an aside, I was a little surprised that a new clutch cable didn't come with an adjuster wheel, or even the little rubber boot that goes over the cable end at the lever.

Comment

The choke on the 1980 850 didn't have an elbow, just the cable.

Comment

Working...
        X