carb adjustments for gs 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb adjustments for gs 850

I have a 1979 GS850 and the carbs are out of whack.
    Can someone give me some details on adjusting these carbs, inparticular the set on the bottom of these carbs.
    The set was painted yellow and I boo booed and messed with it.
    Thanks

Follow this link to do a rebuild. And try and get a manometer/synchronizer. It may seem an overwhelming task, but it's actually pretty easy. It just takes a bit of time.

Brad bt

Comment

Will this help me with the nasty painted set on the bottom that I was told later not to touch?

Comment

If you follow the rebuild series and use a carb dip, the paint will be history. Were you given a reason for the paint?

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by purplemotoman View Post
          Will this help me with the nasty painted set on the bottom that I was told later not to touch?
          If you're going to tear into the carbs, it won't matter. The paint is only there as a factory set...90% of these bikes have been messed with 20 years ago, so no harm, no foul. :-D

Comment

'79 Stock setting (stock airbox and exhaust) for the pilot screw (underneath the carb) is 7/8 of a turn. Air screw is somewhere around 1 and 3/4 turns. Needle jet is the 3rd notch from the bottom (middle notch).

Each carb was tuned at the factory and set, thats what the yellow paint is about. In practice it probably won't be exactly 7/8 of a turn exactly, but that or 1 turn is where I would start tuning.

Make sure that when your getting your carb information its for the VM26 series. After '79 different carbs were used.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2007, 06:15 PM.

Comment

The book calls for 5/8 turn from lightly seated about 2 turns on the side air screw DO a mechanical sync. Start make sure the # 3 carb slide is completely closed with the idle screw backed out, adjust idle screw so that you can slide a 1/8" drill in from the intake side. Adjust the other carbs to match. Kind of like adjusting valves. If your motor is sound It should be very close assuming stock airbox & pipe

Comment

Working...
              X